Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperBowl Options for Cable Cutters?

Hello,

As the subject suggests - I recently dropped my cable TV subscription, and have access to only one local OTA channel (which isn't covering the SuperBowl, BTW).
Any recommendations for viewing on-line?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dịch vụ rut ham cau gia re tận tâm công ty rút hầm cầu giá rẻ chuyên nghiệp
Hello everyone, my name is Hismai, nice to meet you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: SuperBowl Options for Cable Cutters?

I seem to recall each year one of the major network's sports app carries the game.
That's no guarantee they will again.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

CBS is carrying it. You might want to check to see if CBS All Access has live feeds in your area. That's only $6/month. Or, you could check out one of the major live streaming services. CNET has a good chart they periodically update that compares six of the services and which local channels are available on which service:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Given the law of averages and corporate greed, there is little chance the most watched sporting event in the USA (with an advertisement block rolling every 90 seconds) isn't going to make it to every single eyeball that wants to be aimed at it.

Last year's event was available on Roku (like every other Superbowl in recent memory) - free - and it's almost a slam-dunk-certainty this year's event will make it in front of your eyeballs too. CBS has a Sports App, of sorts, that may be utilized when the time comes, or it's possible they'll just write an app for the game and give it away to everyone that wants it. That may not be announced too early, so panicked viewers have every opportunity to buy costly apps and services in order to lock down the game on game day. Experienced viewers will sit calmly, paying close attention to announcements and forums like this one for the last-minute free option (with their fingers crossed).

I always watch that game ONLY for the advertisements, as crazy as that sounds. I don't much like football, and really don't like advertising, but can't deny the BEST highly skilled advertising genies pull out all the stops for this event and I'll be seeing the best of the best. I probably won't even know who's playing... or care. I haven't missed one in a LONG time and I've never paid to watch advertising. I don't expect to be disappointed this year.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

The last few years, the game has been available on either CBS through their CBS Sports and CBS All Access apps or Fox Sports and Fox Now.  A few years ago, we went through a stretch of about a month of persistent storms during the NFL playoffs. While I am a longtime DirecTV subscriber, I knew there were pretty good odds that I would lose my satellite signal during most of the playoff games. I decided to watch basically the entire NFL postseason via my Roku devices in addition to subscribing to CBS All Access as a means of not only getting access to their content, but more specifically the local CBS feed here for times we didn't have a satellite signal.

Although I had to wait about two weeks for access on Roku to CBS AA as it had just launched and wasn't on Roku when I initially subscribed, I am happy with the decision and have remained a subscriber since. As far as the games, I had no issue at all watching the games and in fact, tend to watch the Monday and Thursday night games via streaming as my DVR is normally in use. I also subscribe to NHL TV and never have any problems watching games on Roku from the service either. Same goes for MLB TV, which I access via my MLB EI subscription. The one thing I will suggest however, is make sure your internet equipment from your provider is up to date and check if you need any necessary upgrades. That is the only issue I have had with streaming from time to time is I have had to upgrade my connection, not because of anything related to Roku, but because of running into problems with my connection. While these issues were mostly weather related, I was told by my provider that my family and I were using in their words "Obsolete" equipment that the provider didn't use anymore. Although you would think that the provider would alert their customer base that they would be changing their equipment, I have made a point of checking with my provider at least once per year to see if an upgrade to current equipment is necessary. 
0 Kudos