Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Super Bowl?

I'd suggest a free trial to Fubo, Hulu, or YouTube if you can.  If you've used them up you'll have to pay for a month of one of those to get the Super Bowl on a Roku it seems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku eliminated Fox Sports. But you can get a F-Stick at Walmart and watch it there. If Roku doesn't get the app back, that's what I'm doing... And frankly, once I go with Amazon I might not come back to Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

NO.. Fox is not removing there apps and programming.. Roku is the one removing it.. Only Roku can remove apps from roku..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

What do you mean only Roku can remove apps. That is 100% incorrect. At any time any app developer can delete their app from the Roku app market. It’s just possible that since Fox is so large, Roku decided to make an announcement. Again, I don’t know who is to blame for this, but you are incorrect that developers can’t remove their apps from the market place. Maybe only Roku can remove them from devices, but for a company as large as fox, if they shut off the API that allows their app to work, it’s in the best interest of Roku to remove the app instead of having a broken app.

Highlighted
Level 8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@tedw49 Thank you for this link! Well that puts it to light! It’s Roku! They just screwed them selves! Amazon here I come! We need to all tweet at Roku!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

This is sad... guess we need firetv now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@tedw49 wrote:

going by this..stay clam..

https://view.e.fox.com/?qs=441dcdabf8d4588dec21a208600aab3536443e21346f93d77d38a28d2856b8518798707db...

Not quite that black & white. It's not just an arbitrary decision. Obviously, its some form of negotiation dispute, likely money. For instance, Roku (generally) requests 30% of all advertising invenotry from ad supported channels that stream on their platform. (I say generally because possibly they negotiate lower terms with larger channels, but I'm not sure. I find it unlikely they think they'll deserve 30% of Super Bowl ads, I think this is more of a 2-4 year outlook). Possibly, FOX is requesting a much lower percentage, or for Roku to take none at all. However, IF Fox were to not agree with Roku's terms, then yes Roku would be removing their app off their platform. But that's because Fox isn't agreeing to their standard terms of service, similar to how they I believe or Netflix requires you to keep a credit card on file in their databases, for billing purposes. If you were to 'refuse' to give them a credit card, they would likely stop you from being an account holder. But they're not arbitrarily or unfairly dropping you as a customer so to speak.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/features/monetization/video-advertisements.md

(Look at the 'Feature Comparison > Inventory Split' section.

0 Kudos