Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Super Bowl?

Anyone knows what any ROKU channel Super Bowl live will be on?  I can’t use FOX Sports because require to have Subscription or Cable. I don’t have subscription or cable. 

17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Super Bowl?

Try the regular "FOX" app/channel. Pretty sure they stream national Fox programming beforehand & I watched the Womens world cup last summer thru it. They might boot you off every hour & you re-login.  Definitely check it out & activate it beforehand.  Also, there's an app Locast which offers local antennae channels, only in certain markets but worth looking into. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Unfortunately Roku just sent a message saying that FOX is removing all stand alone FOX channels from Roku on January 31st! Just in time so people can’t watch the Super Bowl. What a bunch of sleaze bags!

Highlighted
Level 7

This is extremely disappointing. Only 'free' way to watch NFL in fake 4k with my existing YTTV subscription. Glad I invited people over to see the game. Unbelievably stupid decision by Roku

Highlighted

I'm in the same boat as Pyreus. Having a Super Bowl party. What do I do now?

Highlighted
Level 8

Not sure if it’s Roku or Fox to blame. Here is the original message:

Dear Roku Customer,
On January 31, 2020, all standalone FOX channels will no longer be available on Roku streaming devices.

You can still watch FOX channels through these services: FuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, SlingTV, YouTube TV and other live TV services, many of which offer free trials. We also have thousands of other great channels in the Roku Channel Store. We've got you covered!

If you have a Roku TV, you may be able to receive FOX over the air with an antenna.

Happy Streaming™
Roku

0 Kudos
Level 7

Switch to Amazon fire products... This is absolutely nuts. Most people had no really good reason to pick Roku or Amazon, but this is crazy... Roku better put out some thing saying Fox called them up and tried to extort them or something because Roku as a platform could burn for this... Dropping the much advertised free Superbowl streaming apps 3 days from the Superbowl? You've got to be kidding!

Highlighted
Level 12

@Zdea wrote:

Dropping the much advertised free Superbowl streaming apps 3 days from the Superbowl? You've got to be kidding!

I'm sure it's not a 'coincidence' this is occuring 3 days before the Super Bowl. It was a power move on Fox's part I'm sure, as in, 'This day is the last day we'll stay with you unless you renegotiate with us".

My assumption, something to do with ad revenue (as a whole, not specifically for the Super Bowl). Roku probably asks for a share in or a small commercial spot or two each hour (not for the SB per se, just in general). That or FOX wanted greater promotion (remote button, home screen ads) elevating them to an elite tier channel.

Not saying Fox is fully to blame, or Roku's innocent or to blame either. Just the date was chosen a long time ago. I agree they both should have notified users this could be coming. Often times cable companies & channels say each other 'might not air us anymore and to call your channel/cable provider to let them know your thoughts' and air commercials for weeks in advance. Both sides seemed to neglect to do this in this case, which wasn't very customer oriented.

Highlighted
Level 8

Looks like it's time to find a new streaming service. Total disregard of their customers.

Highlighted
Level 7

I just bought a Fire Stick. I suggest you do the same.

I figure I'll be slowly transitioning to Fire Sticks now.