Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Suddenly getting ads on NETFLIX and AMAZON PRIME!

@Jaybo2099 wrote:

Amazon got sneaky. They mixed in their ImDB content with their Prime content. So, it's very easy to start an ad supported ImDB show thinking it's a Prime show. There is even talk of having the ads in ImDB link directly to products on Amazon. I don't like that at all.

I'm an overall fan of Amazon Prime, but this is one of the reasons I have no interest in a Fire TV device. They have made the entire user interface directly into Amazon, and I don't care for it. Another issue is trying to find 4K material. They should simply make the 4K version of any title available when you select a title, as long as you're using a 4K device. Instead, you have to burrow deep into their listings to find them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
astralan
Reel Rookie

Was on a marathon with **bleep**'s Kitchen when on 10/21/20 none of the episodes were available. Today (10/23/20) I checked. Episodes are back, but multiple interruptions with cat food and smart water. WTF Amazon???? I pay $120 or so for subscription and this is what I get? I can get FilmRise for free with the same amount of commercials! Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

It's most likely the episodes moved from Amazon Prime to IMDb TV.

https://help.imdb.com/article/imdb/discover-watch/imdb-tv-faq/GZML3SK6UQK8EMYV#

"IMDb TV is a free, ad-supported streaming video channel available in the United States on the IMDb app, the IMDb website, the Amazon Prime Video app and Amazon Fire TV devices."

A quick check for H-E-double-hockey-sticks Kitchen (had to get past profanity filter) shows it is part of IMDb TV. Note the description:

HK.jpg

0 Kudos
Ceeotters
Channel Surfer

I have an answer to that. Acorn. Yes, it's another 5 bucks, but they have a couple seasons of McLeod's Daughters.

And we'll look into the iMDB content because that is irritating.

0 Kudos
astralan
Reel Rookie

Get it off the Amazon list then, or remove the ad breaks. It's like stepping back in time to OTA TV of the 70's. Seeing IMDB is owned by Amazon it feels like double dipping. Does Jeff, richest man in the world now, need to do this? Seeing Fancy Feast commercials every 10 minutes doesn't cut it for a subscription IMO. It's also on FilmRise but you got commercials there too so there are options.

andyross
Roku Guru

Again, directly on the Roku, it clearly states "Free with ads".

HK2.jpg

0 Kudos
astralan
Reel Rookie

Not tRe: Suddenly getting ads on NETFLIX and AMAZON PRIME!

Not the point I'm making. But yeah, I've seen that. You can't watch it anywhere without ads now.

0 Kudos

I am watching the 1978 British series Lilly on Amazon. It's a good "bedtime" story to fall asleep to. Been doing it for years. Not anymore I guess. Three times in one episode, 100-second commercials have interrupted it, with the time ticking away in a corner -- all commercials for women's products. I just can't believe it. Jeff Bezos is a pig. 

0 Kudos
Vannyoung

I also am getting ads on Amazon prime. These are interrupting shows that are playing. I pay for ad free programing and this is distressing. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Vannyoung wrote:

I also am getting ads on Amazon prime. These are interrupting shows that are playing. I pay for ad free programing and this is distressing. 

I've never seen an ad interrupt something in progress, only a leader ad before the video starts. However, it's being reported that Amazon has added their IMDB streaming to the Prime Video channel, and if the title isn't a Prime offering, or something you have purchased, there can be ads. So you get more titles to watch for no additional charge, but you get some ads with them. I'll have to look closer next time I'm in Prime Video, but I would expect it's marked in some way that the title has ads. You'll just have to be more careful in the titles you choose to watch if you don't want any ads. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos