Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidster
Level 7

Sudden issue: no dialog/voices

Hi! I've never posted here before, and I searched high and low for similar issues to mine and while I have found a few, they all have to deal with either new equipment or changes of some sort. My issue came out of the blue with no equipment or settings changes whatsoever and I'd love some advice.

We use our Roku at least several times a week. Suddenly, yesterday, we can no longer hear voices/dialog (tried in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Vudu). The background music and sound effects are fine and sound great (leaves rustling, music, wind, car horns, etc.), but when people speak there is just some muffled sounds that are hardly even recognizable as voices. I'd rather not go down a rabbit hole of changing dozens of different settings, because we've had the Roku for over a year now and it's never had this issue and nothing has changed. Here are some technical specs:

model: 3800x roku streaming stick
software version (updated 12/14/18): 9.0.0 - build 4083-55
receiver: denon avr-x1400h

Thanks in advance for any advice!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Sudden issue: no dialog/voices

Sounds like the speaker setup on your Denon receiver is messed up.. do a speaker test, and make sure sound is coming from your center channel. Most dialog comes out of the center.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
heidster
Level 7

Hi. Thanks for the reply! Smiley Happy All other components are working perfectly. For instance, we can watch our satellite (DirecTV) with no issues, and can play video games with no issues, watch DVDs, etc. ... It's only anything streaming from Roku that has the problem.
0 Kudos
heidster
Level 7

I am going to run a speaker test as soon as my husband is done w/his movie and will let you know!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 15

I had something similar happen once. It was the settings in my AVR that had been accidentally changed with the wrong press of a remote button. Some sort of sound mode was engaged that had shut down the center channel audio. Had nothing to do with the Roku. Depending on the AVR it might remember settings for different ports, so that would explain why everything else is working correctly. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"heidster" wrote:
Hi. Thanks for the reply! Smiley Happy All other components are working perfectly. For instance, we can watch our satellite (DirecTV) with no issues, and can play video games with no issues, watch DVDs, etc. ... It's only anything streaming from Roku that has the problem.

Just remmeber that each port on an AVR has its own individual settings, so while all other components may be set up correctly, there must be something disabling the center speaker on the port that the Roku is plugged into.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
heidster
Level 7

A wire had come out of the center speaker!!! Thank you SO much! I guess the audio signals that the other components were receiving were compensating somehow and only the Roku didn't like it. Thanks again!! 
0 Kudos