Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpkleban
Level 7

Subtitles

Starting a few weeks ago, for no reason I can understand, I've been unable to get subtitles on any videos that I watch on You Tube.  In the past, they were simply not available on some but I could get them on most.  Now, when I go through the process of selecting auto generated English subtitles, I get a sentence or two then it freezes.  I don't have a problem with subtitles on non-You Tube videos or with You Tube videos that I watch on my PC rather than on Roku.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Subtitles

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know what you are experiencing.

Closed captions are only available when the content publisher includes them when uploading their videos on YouTube. Not all content will include closed captions. You will need to check with the channel provider for information about the availability of closed captions.

You stated that do not have a problem with subtitles on YouTube videos on your PC. Were you playing the same video that you are trying to watch on your Roku?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rpkleban
Level 7

Thanks, I realize that subtitles are not available on all videos, and where they are available you usually have to turn them on at which point you can also choose their characteristics (size, font, etc.) 
The You Tube videos I'm referring to DO have captions available and usable on my PC whereas the same You Tube videos I get on Roku in theory have captions available but the caption function doesn't seem to work for more than few words, then freezes.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. Please send me a private message with the following information so I can try to assist you further:

-The serial number of your Roku player from Settings>System>About on your Roku player
-Specific examples of the videos that you are trying to watch on your Roku

I'll follow up with you directly from there to assist you further.

We would also recommend contacting YouTube support to report the issue.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos