Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeJ
Level 7

Subtitles covered by "Speaking (foreign language)"

I watch a foreign show with subtitles on Prime Video using Roku. In the most recent shows, the words "Speaking (foreign language)", such as "Speaking French", appear on top of the subtitles and make them impossible to read. I watched the same show on an iPad, and there was no problem reading the subtitles, so I do not think it is a problem with Prime Video. Is there any way to adjust for this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Subtitles covered by "Speaking (foreign language)"

Sometimes subtitles are baked into the video especially when they're translations of short periods of someone speaking a foreign language, so you'll see both the subtitles that are part of the video along with text overlaid on top of the video.  The next time it happens try disabling subtitles to see if it allows you to see the text that's part of the video.

If that's the problem, I don't really know of a way to fix it other than constantly enabling and disabling subtitles since Roku doesn't give you any way to position subtitles.  You can play with the different settings under Settings->Accessibility->Captions style for color and transparency, but I don't know if all channels/apps honor those settings and at best you'll still be trying to read text that's under other text.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos