Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarkr
Level 7

Subtitle Background In Amazon Prime - HOW Do You Get Rid Of It???

Jump to solution

Using Premier +

Amazon Prime Video Background color: I know this subject has been brought up before but I have NOT seen any replies from the people at Roku (or anybody else for that matter) on how to fix it.

I have tried everything I can think of to remove the black background on subtitles in Amazon Prime Video. No joy. Supposedly you can set the Roku settings for background opacity to 25% but even that lame semi fix doesn't work on my Roku.

The Roku people have not, to my knowledge, come up with any kind of solution or who to contact about this problem or any hardware or software updates that will work other than to say contact Amazon Prime.

Here is what Amazon Prime Video says:

"Roku devices do not support subtitle presets - those should be edited on the Settings menu on your Roku device."

Well, this is a Catch 22 endless loop between Amazon Prime Video and Roku. Every other app can figure this out, why can't you? So how about it Roku techs (or NON Roku techs)? Can't somebody figure out something that works with this? It has been going on for at least 2-3 YEARS!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AustinOfAmes
Level 7

Re: Subtitle Background In Amazon Prime - HOW Do You Get Rid Of It???

Jump to solution

I just talked to Amazon and got a fix...or a better setup for this anyhow.

From home on your Roku - Settings - Accessibility - Caption Style. Then change things from there. Most options worked for me.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LqBill
Level 7

Jump to solution

Frustrating problem.  Seems same as my problem of unable to read subtitles hidden behind Roku closed captions as background will not set to 0% opacity when viewing prime video!  Any solutions or recourse located?  Stupid Roku!

0 Kudos
AustinOfAmes
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just talked to Amazon and got a fix...or a better setup for this anyhow.

From home on your Roku - Settings - Accessibility - Caption Style. Then change things from there. Most options worked for me.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
CaaNav531
Level 8

Jump to solution

Start your show episode then click the up arrow on your remote.  You then can select the subtitles icon (it looks like a chat bubble) and turn them off from there.

I had the same issue except my problem was that captions were appearing in German!  It drove me nuts!

0 Kudos
dmadeira1973
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same annoying issues! It takes up half the screen with background on! 

@clarkr wrote:

Using Premier +

Amazon Prime Video Background color: I know this subject has been brought up before but I have NOT seen any replies from the people at Roku (or anybody else for that matter) on how to fix it.

I have tried everything I can think of to remove the black background on subtitles in Amazon Prime Video. No joy. Supposedly you can set the Roku settings for background opacity to 25% but even that lame semi fix doesn't work on my Roku.

The Roku people have not, to my knowledge, come up with any kind of solution or who to contact about this problem or any hardware or software updates that will work other than to say contact Amazon Prime.

"Roku devices do not support subtitle presets - those should be edited on the Settings menu on your Roku device."

Well, this is a Catch 22 endless loop between Amazon Prime Video and Roku. Every other app can figure this out, why can't you? So how about it Roku techs (or NON Roku techs)? Can't somebody figure out something that works with this? It has been going on for at least 2-3 YEARS!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dmadeira1973,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community! 

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

You may also refer to this link: How do I enable closed captioning? | Official Roku Support

Please be noted that some channel manages its own content programming, including closed captions/subtitles on contents. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions/subtitles on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue. 

You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G9SY6AQJV45JFMET 

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@dmadeira1973 wrote:

I have the same annoying issues! It takes up half the screen with background on! 

@clarkr wrote:

Using Premier +

Amazon briefly fixed this issue (app update) before regressing the fix (with another app update) a week later,  a year or two ago.

The only workaround/solution is to set the Roku's global caption background opacity setting to 25%: (Settings/Accessibility/Captions style/Background opacity=25%)

You can also set the Text size there to "extra small": (Settings/Accessibility/Captions style/Text size=Extra small)

(Otherwise, you have to contact Amazon about this many-years long bug for their Prime app on Roku and get them to (re)fix it...)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos