Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription questions

I'm tired of paying FIOS $160/month.

I've spent months researching cutting the cord. Now I'm just about ready to do it. This is my first foray into cutting the cord.

Some apps require a subscription. Some apps are free but require "authenticating your favorite cable channels using your sign-in credentials from your pay TV provider" ( from Roku blog -Abby Reyes, November 9, 2015). The blog was about TV Everywhere Channels.

I downgraded from Extreme to Preferred a few months ago. I saved only about $15.

For example, the History channel is listed as a TV Everywhere Channel. In the Roku channel store it states, "CABLE OR SATELLITE SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED". Does that mean that I must have the History channel in my viewing package in order to not pay for the subscription? If I don't have the History channel in my viewing package does that mean that I must pay a subscription?

What does it mean to sign in with my TV subscription?

Paying subscription fees can get as expensive as cable!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Subscription questions

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. TV Everywhere simply refers to the authentication mechanism for some select channels on the Roku platform. Most of these channels do require you to authenticate with your TV provider account credentials. This is denoted on each channel's information page prior to installing the channel on your Roku device. 

If you're looking at ways to cut costs by cutting the cord, I'd recommend taking a look at some of the streaming services available that offer access to packages of channels, similar to cable. Hulu Live, AT&T NOW, Sling TV, Philo, YouTube TV and others offer this type of service. 

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Subscription questions

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been thinking about streaming services as well as channel apps. I definitely want ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW & PBS. Unless it has changed, NO streaming service has PBS stations. One can pay a subscription to PBS for access to the PBS stations thru their app. I don't think that ANY streaming service has ALL of the local channels. If I limit all of my Favorites to only apps, I'd have to open each app individually to see what is on. So, I may have to chose say, YouTube, & fill in the blanks with apps.

I've created a list of my Favorites on my word processor. I'm going thru it & eliminating some of the Favorites. I search the Roku store for each of my Favorites & I use Google to search for Roku apps. 

FIOS does have local channels & PBS that I can downgrade to. I can't decide between getting an external antenna or pay FIOS for local channels. My contract is up for renewal in May 2021. I can't decide between getting the new Roku soundbar/subwoofer or get a soundbar/subwoofer & a Roku Ultra! I'd be spending about the same amount of money either way.

0 Kudos