Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Subscription I pay for tells me I don’t have a subscription

Jump to solution

I have a subscription to the Acorn channel that I pay for via Roku. I also have a subscription to Britbox, which I just canceled but is still active into February. I pay for both through Roku. When I try to select an Acorn show on Roku (on my iPad), I am told I do not have a subscription. I suspect I will get the same message if I try to select a Britbox show. What might be happening?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Re: Subscription I pay for tells me I don’t have a subscription

Jump to solution

If you read the entire thread, I explained to begin with that I am trying to click on the Acorn channel ON ROKU and watch a show, but it tells me I am not subscribed, even though I subscribed through ROKU. Someone ELSE mentioned the separate Acorn app, and while I have that downloaded, EVEN ATTEMPTING TO USE THAT will not allow me to watch a show because the account ON THE ACORN APP says, "You are subscribed to Acorn on ROKU. Please go there to make any changes to your account."

Again, I am subscribed to Acorn via Roku. I cannot click on any Acorn shows on the Roku application on my iPad without getting the message that I am not subscribed. Looks at this point like I need to cancel the subscription on Roku and just go pay through the separate app and be done with this. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I clearly have been unable to explain so that anyone can understand that I AM TRYING TO VIEW ACORN ON ROKU, not on a separate application. A channel that I subscribed to ON ROKU and can't view ON ROKU. I keep getting answers regarding watching Acorn on a separate app. This is not the case. I canceled the subscription on Roku and NOW I will just sign up directly through the Acorn app since Roku has made it unmanageable. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Any subscriptions made through third parties like Roku are typically only good on that third party's system.  

Because your subscriptions are with Roku, not Acorn and Britbox, these channels' apps probably will not recognize your logins on other systems.  Subscriptions obtained through Roku are typically accessed through The Roku Channel.

If you subscribe directly with the channel on its website you can then view the channel on any platform that it supports using your login credentials for that channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

How did we get to logging in via the channels website? I subscribed through Roku, and I want to see it on Roku. For example, I subscribe to the Walter Presents channel on Roku, and I can view Walter Presents shows on my Roku platform. Why can’t I see Acorn or BritBox shows on my Roku platform, since I am signed up via Roku? When attempting to play any show, I’m told I don’t have a subscription.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

There are some subscriptions that are only available via The Roku Channel.  So (and I don't know if this is true), if there's a stand-alone Acorn channel and Acorn is available via the Roku channel, your subscription paid through Roku may only make Acorn available through The Roku Channel. Again, I'm just guessing.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So do I understand you to say that if I paid for Acorn via Roku, I can only view programs by downloading the Acorn app separately? Because I can’t see them on Roku. Clicking on an Acorn program pops up a window that says I’m not subscribed.  And on the downloaded, separate Acorn app, when I click to open a show, I’m told I’m not subscribed. This is making me crazy, because I can see that I’ve paid for Acorn. Apparently I can’t view shows on either Roku or on the Acorn app. Does no one have an answer for this? Does anyone from Roku read this board?

renojim

Jump to solution

You're more likely to get an answer from Acorn than Roku.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Schotzy wrote:

So do I understand you to say that if I paid for Acorn via Roku, I can only view programs by downloading the Acorn app separately? Because I can’t see them on Roku. Clicking on an Acorn program pops up a window that says I’m not subscribed.  And on the downloaded, separate Acorn app, when I click to open a show, I’m told I’m not subscribed. This is making me crazy, because I can see that I’ve paid for Acorn. Apparently I can’t view shows on either Roku or on the Acorn app. Does no one have an answer for this? Does anyone from Roku read this board?

Have you looked for your Roku Acorn and Britbox subscriptions ON THE ROKU CHANNEL?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You're kidding, right? Because I have explained three times that I subscribe through the Roku channel and it is when I go to the Acorn channel on Roku that I am told I don't have a subscription. I don't know how else to say it. I give up. 

renojim

Jump to solution

What you don't get is that you're saying two different things.  If you subscribe to Acorn through The Roku Channel you can only access it through The Roku Channel.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Acorn also have a stand-alone channel completely outside of The Roku Channel?  If so, you won't be able to use your subscription there.

0 Kudos
Schotzy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you read the entire thread, I explained to begin with that I am trying to click on the Acorn channel ON ROKU and watch a show, but it tells me I am not subscribed, even though I subscribed through ROKU. Someone ELSE mentioned the separate Acorn app, and while I have that downloaded, EVEN ATTEMPTING TO USE THAT will not allow me to watch a show because the account ON THE ACORN APP says, "You are subscribed to Acorn on ROKU. Please go there to make any changes to your account."

Again, I am subscribed to Acorn via Roku. I cannot click on any Acorn shows on the Roku application on my iPad without getting the message that I am not subscribed. Looks at this point like I need to cancel the subscription on Roku and just go pay through the separate app and be done with this. 

0 Kudos