Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharobin
Level 7

Subscribing without cable or satellite?

I recently purchased Roku.  I do not have cable or satellite.  I get my local channels with a regular tv antenna, but my Roku is routed through my WIFI which is CenturyLink.  My question is, I want to be able to get channels like Discovery.  How do I do this without cable? Because if I had cable I wouldn't need Roku.  Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Subscribing without cable or satellite?

It depends on the channel. Some will let you subscribe without a TV provider, but many others will not. I can't say about Discovery, but my gut feeling is they require a TV provider.

But, there are sometimes other ways to get some of the channels. Sling TV and YouTube TV offer a selection of "cable" channels, so they might offer the ones you are looking for. And sometimes subscribing to Sling will be considered a TV provider for other channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JerryHamrick
Level 7

I would like to receive every channel that is available to roku subscribers without cost in every way. Live local channels for West Virginia as well as fox news chanel would really be nice to be able to watch events live as they happen. USA Network is another channel is another one that is a big interest to me as well. My E-mail is as follows [personal information removed]. This would be great seing that my income is so low and would greatly appreciated on both of my Roku smart TVs.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@JerryHamrick that's not how Roku works. There is no Roku subscription. It is a platform for many content providers to offer their services. While there are some providers that offer a subscription through Roku, with Roku handling the payments, in most cases you subscribe directly with the provider. There is no one subscription that offers "everything". The closest you might come is subscribing to something like YouTube TV, Hulu, or Sling TV. These all offer many different "cable" channels, and in some cases local broadcast channels as well. 

But they all come with a cost in the form of a monthly subscription. Again, Roku itself does not cost anything other than the purchase of the hardware. Any and all services you use on your Roku come from other providers. Roku does have The Roku Channel, which offers quite a lot of free content, and you can subscribe to some other services through it.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos