Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abravo56
Level 8

Streaming stick won’t keep channels - always reloading

I have a Roku streaming stick 3800R that refuses to keep channel apps in storage. Every time I launch a channel it has to be redownloaded before it starts. These are not rarely used channels but rather the same channels I use every day. Prime Video, Spotify, Netflix, Sling. I can use one of them today, turn off the tv, and come back tomorrow and go right back to he same channel I just used and it has to redownload. I don’t think it’s an issue of storage because I deleted all unused channels and there are currently just 13 in my list. Surely there is enough storage space to hold those. Why do I have to wait for the same channels to redownload every day???

23 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Streaming stick won’t keep channels - always reloading

@abravo56 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device and linking the device back to your Roku account.

Does this resolve the issue that you are experiencing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
abravo56
Level 8

Nope, didn’t help. I did the reset and relink, then downloaded and logged into 6 channels. As soon as I finished the sixth, I went back to the first channel and it immediately had to be loaded again. This stick literally can’t keep six channels in storage at a time. I mean everything else works, and it doesn’t usually take long to load, but it’s just a little annoyance that didn’t use to happen until recently. It never happened on my old 3600 either. 

0 Kudos
Hustleje12
Level 7

This started happening for me as well. Not sure If our device just went through a software update, but I noticed the loading screen is now white instead of purple. Roku app so I use on a daily basis are now re-loading ever time I open.

0 Kudos
Paradox32
Level 7

Same issue here too. I’ve reloaded Netflix, Prime, and Apple TV+ multiple times within a 3hour timeframe with the device on the whole time. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Paradox32 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? How many channels do you currently have on your Roku device? Have you removed any unused channels? We would recommend making sure to remove any channels you are not using and then trying to perform a factory rest on the Roku device before trying to add then channels you are trying to add.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
smerflink
Level 8

Have to add a "me too" to this thread. Was suddenly having this issue with my 3800X streaming stick. I thought it was from the August system upgrade, but the other notes in this thread are from June.

It used to be I could go to two or three different channels until I got the RELOADING message when I'd try to view the fourth. But now it reloads any time I choose a different channel. Also, since this has started happening, the actual UI for the RELOADING message is different. The current UI has a white box, and previously it wasn't white, and I don't think there was a border around the box (but I can't remember exactly.) This seems to be an argument for the system upgrade being at fault. Haven't tried to hard reset yet, since it didn't help the original poster, and the time involved finding all my channels again will be a pain.

0 Kudos
Beckeye
Level 7

This is happening to me as well- and I often have to sign back in to apps the same day or on consecutive days after they reload. 

0 Kudos
smerflink
Level 8

That happens to me every so often, but infrequently enough that I chalked it up to the app being upgraded.

0 Kudos
santinelli
Level 7

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Ever since I believe the last upgrade the stick has to reload channels every time I start them.  It was fine for about a year. No problems and now it reloads on everything 

0 Kudos