Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abravo56
Reel Rookie

Streaming stick won’t keep channels - always reloading

I have a Roku streaming stick 3800R that refuses to keep channel apps in storage. Every time I launch a channel it has to be redownloaded before it starts. These are not rarely used channels but rather the same channels I use every day. Prime Video, Spotify, Netflix, Sling. I can use one of them today, turn off the tv, and come back tomorrow and go right back to he same channel I just used and it has to redownload. I don’t think it’s an issue of storage because I deleted all unused channels and there are currently just 13 in my list. Surely there is enough storage space to hold those. Why do I have to wait for the same channels to redownload every day???

29 REPLIES 29
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming stick won’t keep channels - always reloading

Are you downloading them yourself and reinstalling the Channels?

Or do they just take a long time to load after you choose the Channel?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
abravo56
Reel Rookie

Loading messageIt’s that every day or two when I launch a channel I use all the time, it has to be downloaded again as if the streaming stick has no memory to store the app, which is crazy because I manually removed all the apps I never use, so it really should be able to store the few I do.

2780D527-FE41-4E1C-BDDA-AD05CE41D2C1.jpeg

boogernose
Roku Guru

Oh ok I can see what youre problem is now.

I dont believe the 3800r has a MicroSD slot or capability

which might have helped. I have an Ultra and dont experience this problem

with Prime. I dont know how long it takes to load for you exactly

but the speed of your Internet connection I think is your issue.

You can try logging into a 5G connection if its available.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Phanatic88888
Reel Rookie

Good god my streaming stick does this every freaking day I’m so sick of it! 

jdmaxell

Yep, same problem with my plus.  I removed all the apps that I don't use too, and still same problem.  Should not be this way with just 10 apps.  Bad memory management  on the plus.  Engineers that designed the way it manages memory should be let go. 

Blondiebel

So there is no fix to this problem??  Both of mine do it, even with 5G, it seems it is a recent problem, like Ruku changed something...

I had to quickly set up my Roku Forum account—to go from passive reader to active commenter—and say—this is driving me nuts, as well! And YES—it’s a recent bug for sure. Going back 3-6 months (can’t see the OP’s message date).

But it’s getting progressively worse, from once a week (fairly low on the “irritation scale”) to pretty much every time I use my Roku. 

I don’t know if you guys have noticed this,, but the download time has also definitely increased (sneakily?) to the point where my most used channel (YouTube) loads EVERY time AND has gone from 2-3 seconds to 30 seconds or more. 

I have the cheapest, older model Roku stick in my bedroom, so I just chalked it up to not having enough memory. But I have a fancy, brand new Roku Ultra in my living room (which I don’t use often)—and the **bleep** thing is doing it, too! 

Why is this happening?? No offense to the previous posters, but the solution shouldn’t be on the Customer, such as:

YOU need to get faster Internet or YOU need to go buy an SD card and attach it (because if WE (Roku) added more storage capacity, it would hurt our margins). 

What has changed over the past six months or so that would eat up the remaining memory on our devices?

ADVERTISING — Roku is loading us up with ads and very likely kicking our channel icons out of RAM to preload ads to assure their clients—“you will have guaranteed eyeballs on your tubi icon, even if they lose their wifi signal.” Ca-ching!

*This is just a theory, so if I find a quick and easy solution out there—’ll come back and delete this post and share the solution. But ROKU has developed a very greedy reputation lately. Just follow the money:

HBO-MAX - Ca-ching!

Spectrum - Ca-ching!

Tags (2)
JimmyJim
Channel Surfer

Yeah I feel like Roku changed something as well so we have to upgrade our Roku device. Mine takes an additional 10 seconds to load each channel now. Irritating. It’s all about the money. Glad to see others experiencing the same issue. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try the "clear the cache" routine - using your Roku remote, Press Home 5 times, Up once, Rewind (<<) twice, and FF (>>) twice.  If you do it properly your Roku will appear to lock up and then reboot.  You may want to check for updates from Settings->System->System update after it reboots.  Let us know if it helps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.