Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wilbour
Level 7

Streaming from phone without imternet

So after lots of trial and error I was able to stream a movie I recorded with my PVR. I had it loaded onto my phone and without a network connection was able to directly stream it to my Roku stick.

My issue is with movies I purchased from Google play. I did download them while connected at home but wasn't able to have the Roku see my shows unless I tethered my phone 's internet.

I don't have a network at my cabin. One I tethered my phone the Roku saw my shows and played them. If I stopped tethering the movie stopped as well
So my question is, does the Roku use the phone data just to keep a handshake intact and stream the video from the phone (little data) or does the whole video stream from the Google server (lots of data)?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wilbour
Level 7

Re: Streaming from phone without imternet

As posted in another thread, I ended up using a gig of data from my phone trying to watch a movie I downloaded from Google play.

Not the outcome I was looking for.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Streaming from phone without Internet

On a Roku player, you never download media. It is streaming only. No Roku has sufficient memory to store a downloaded movie of any length, and even if it did it's not designed for that. Internet is not required for streaming media that is located on a device connected to the same network as the Roku. The Roku cannot connect directly to a network share, but it can connect to a device that has DLNA support. No Internet required. 
If the media is on your phone, you might be able to find a DLNA server that will work on it. BubblePnP is one that I believe would work, and VLC might also. However, if the movie was downloaded from Amazon or other service for offline viewing, you will only be able to watch it on the device you used to download it. It will have DRM that will not allow you to view it on something else. If your phone is an Android, you can cast your phone to the Roku and in that manner view it on your TV via the Roku.

On the Roku, if you were using the Google Play channel to watch the movie, you were not watching the copy you downloaded. It was streaming directly from Google. Again, there's no way to watch a Google Play movie downloaded onto the phone with your Roku other than screen casting.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Wilbour
Level 7

Yah. I realized very early on that the Roku cannot store a movie. That's why I downloaded it to my phone.

The issue is that Google Movies app knows you are "Casting" (with Smart View In my case) and tells you to remove it from the host device (my phone) before streaming.

It's like you said, there are very strong copyright protection systems in place here with Google Movies.
0 Kudos
Wilbour
Level 7

Hi Chuckf. I will not disagree with you but the issue is how tightly Google Movies guards their property. You cannot play their content that you paid for without their app. Their app knows that you are trying to stream it to another device and won't let you unless you remove it from the phone it sits on ( defeating the purpose)

As it stands, I am well aware of "alternate measures" but like to color within the lines, so to speak.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Chuckf" wrote:
Roku sucks

If that's your opinion, why are you here? If you have specific issues, then post a specific question. You add nothing to the conversation, and the issue for the OP has nothing to do with it being a Roku. That's the way Google enforces their DRM, and that's not a Roku decision.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

Just curious... have you tried second screening your phone display? Not casting from within an app or Wi-Fi direct (tends to just send the file to the other device). Talking about duplicating your entire phone display to another device via Smart View it Miracast method. Might get around it somehow.

If it is Android, can still get your hands on a lightweight Miracast app to restore the old Smart View approach that got removed back around Lollipop/Marshmallow. I've used it to stream stuff from websites... freaks people out to see me actually using the phone wirelessly on the TV. Hehe. It is a battery hog though, so plug it up if you go this route.
0 Kudos