Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
majorcatch22
Level 7

Streaming channel ROW8 fraudulent advertising

A number of times have occurred when searching for a movie on the Roku search menu option, ROW8 has had the movie for rent for a certain price.  When I select the ROW8 option from the Roku menu, I am taken to the ROW8 channel, where the price quoted (even with discounts) is ALWAYS  more than the price that was quoted on the Roku selection menu.  The most recent example of this happened this evening (May 9, 2021) when I wanted to rent the movie "Let Him Go" starring Kevin Costner.  The price quoted on the Roku search window by ROW8 was $2.99, after I selected the movie and was taken to the ROW8 streaming channel, the price now is $5.99 (or $4.99 with their so called discount). 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming channel ROW8 fraudulent advertising

I see your concern, but in the Roku Search it says for Row8 "Rent from 2.99".  This means 2.99 and above.  Row8 offers $2.00 off your first movie, so 4.99 - 2.00 would technically equal 2.99.  If not your first movie, then would be the "above" pricing of 4.99 (the discounted regular price).  Currently offering 1.00 off all titles if not first movie ordered.  (5.99 - 1.00 is 4.99)

With all these Channels/Apps, you really have to read closely the pricing and terms (whether you are "buying" or "renting" movie, etc).   Generally, all these Channels that offer purchasing indicate the pricing "is from $x.99 " since some offer credits, discount codes, etc.  I believe the true pricing is from within the Channel/app itself, not any other screen, since any purchase is made from within the Channel/App itself.  If any discrepancy, I would take a screenshot of any lower pricing in case you have a dispute.   Most likely if you are a regular purchaser, they will make it right.

For what its worth, Row8 has some solid reviews online and on tech sites.  I only use it to keep abreast of the newer movies available...I rarely actually purchase anything unless I have to see it now.  It really doesn't appear deceptive to me and is normally cheaper than other Channels/Apps offering the same movie.  Perhaps confusing, yes.

Hope that helps clear it up.  Can always make your concerns known to the developer themselves at...

https://www.row8.com/

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
McKaraokeFL
Level 7

It is a common occurrence with row8 it shows the price of a movie $1 less than actual charge that's false advertising.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@McKaraokeFL

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact ROW8 support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
topaztije
Level 7

Totally agree - this is fraudulent advertising!  If it means "as low as", then who gets the low price?  Total B.S.!

0 Kudos