Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roberto188
Level 7

Streaming Stick 3800 - mpeg 2 support

Thank you guys so much for working on the mpeg 2 support for the Streaming Stick 3800. Unfortunately, it seems to be pretty glitchy, both in .ts container and .mkv container. When i play anything as low as 720p in mpeg 2 format in either .ts or .mkv container the video plays back with a massive amount of artifacts. Please tweak this a bit. Mpeg 2 support is an AWESOME ROKU feature that literally will have me buy more rokus rather than a fire TV. Thanks!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
roberto188
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick 3800 - mpeg 2 support

So it's turns out low def, 720 x 480 mpeg 2 files work, but anything above that get massive artifacts. Is it really that the roku stick is underpowered for decoding HD mpeg 2 content?
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

With the new OS 9 updated, My roku streaming stick 3800 now supports mpeg 2 files. Unfortunately it appears to be woefully under-powered, as it can only playback 480p mpeg 2 streams smoothly. Anything above that yeilds a massive amount of artifacts. 

My question is, why is it that my Preimiere+ 4630 which has the same processor, Cortex A53 Quad Core, can play back 1080i mpeg 2 content perfectly, but my streaming stick chokes?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Check your native framerate settings. My Ultra won't play MPEG-2 smoothly with it enabled. With it turned off, MPEG-2 plays well. I don't have any MPEG-2 content in HD, so can't comment about that. Everything HD I have is H.264, VC-1 or H.265. 
And you're sure your 3600 has support for H.262? I pulled mine out of my suitcase on Monday and updated it and it still didn't appear as a supported codec. Of course, I didn't try it. Smiley Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

My premiere+ plays it fine with native frame rate adjustment. The Streaming Stick does NOT have native framerate adjustment as it is not a 4k device (that feature is only available for 4k devices). And yes, my 3800 does support it, or at least it plays low resolution mpeg2 files just fine. I can't speak about the 3600, as that is not the model I have, also especially if it's not on OS 9. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Your previous post said 3600, which was why I questioned it. Thanks for the clarification. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

Sorry about that. Topic and first post was correct. 2nd one was in error. Thanks.
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

Bump. Is there going to be a fix for mpeg-2 at HD resolutions?
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

Bump again. Nothing Roku? Half baked role out? The 3800 processor support h262 decode at HD resolutions. Getting it to work should be a trivial task. 
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"roberto188" wrote:
Bump again. Nothing Roku? Half baked role out? The 3800 processor support h262 decode at HD resolutions. Getting it to work should be a trivial task. 

Roku does not comment on fixes or timelines. It is likely it will be worked on and potential fix released whenever they do the next firmware rollout (likely they won't even start the beta testing until after the holidays, since 9.0 isn't completely rolled out). As you mentioned it's a new feature, new features can be buggy.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos