Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NightHawk
Level 7

Streaming Services with 5.1 audio on Roku Devices

Does anyone have a complete list of major streaming services that provide 5.1 audio on some titles supporting Roku devices, including what DD format each use?

The only streaming service with Roku I've found that shows exactly their 5.1 audio format in title descriptions is Vudu, many titles have listed 5.1 DD+ and some older titles have plain 5.1 DD.

I've successfully gotten 5.1 audio with my Roku Ultra 4640 using the optical port output to my older Denon receiver (DD format selected on Roku audio settings) from the following Roku channels so far:
Amazon Prime Video(5.1 unknown if DD+ or DD on some titles)
Netflix (5.1 unknown if DD+ or DD on some titles)
Vudu (5.1 DD+ and DD titles available on some titles)
Roku Channel (5.1 unknown if DD+ or DD on some titles)
Youtube (DD 5.1 on some videos)
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Streaming Services with 5.1 audio on Roku Devices

@OP  The 4640 is a super Roku player as far as dolby audio is concerned. It will convert DD+ as well as AAC5.1 to DD5.1 before sending them out the optical port.
No other Roku STB will be able to achieve the same results. All other Roku STBs can only pass thru DD+. For AAC5.1 they may or may not be able to downmix to stereo pcm.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
@OP  The 4640 is a super Roku player as far as dolby audio is concerned. It will convert DD+ as well as AAC5.1 to DD5.1 before sending them out the optical port.
No other Roku STB will be able to achieve the same results. All other Roku STBs can only pass thru DD+. For AAC5.1 they may or may not be able to downmix to stereo pcm.

Thanks for continuing to support the 4640 - thats why I specifically purchased that version of the Ultra for its incredible multichannel conversion capability to the optical port.
Fortunately amazon has 3 separate listings for all three of the Roku Ultra versions (4640, 4660, 4661) with new still sealed units still available so I was able to get a brand new 4640 last week!
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

I'm now getting dd5.1 audio on youtube tv with a Roku Ultra on some VOD recordings from Fox, CBS, CW networks so far.
Only stereo on some NBC VOD shows.
0 Kudos