Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pimply
Level 7

Streaming Live TV Through Plex On Roku Device.

Hello,

I have been searching on this topic for awhile now and haven't been able to get an answer.  Quick background.. I have a Plex media server setup, and use my Roku device to stream it on to my TV.  I just purchased an HDHomeRun Extend that plays my over the air broadcast through my network.  I have configured the HDHomerun appropriately through Plex and am able to setup recording without a problem.  I am also able to successfully watch live TV through my IOS devices (Ipad and Iphone) without a single issue.  The big problem that I am having is that I am unable to watch live TV through the Plex app streaming through my Roku.  

In summary I can't watch live TV through my Roku device, while using Plex.  At this point, I just want to be able to watch live TV using my Roku, not even having to use Plex to do it.  I would just like to know a way to stream HDHomerun through my Roku player to my TV.  I have no issues with having to setup another server to handle any trans-coding or anything.  I'm confused by what I've been reading, because some people are saying the Roku doesn't work for streaming live TV, and others say that there is a work-around by using an add-on that handles trans-coding to what the Roku understands.

I'm really hoping that I didn't purchase the HDHomerun and will be unable to use it, with Roku, as that is the only streaming device, I'd prefer to use.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you for your help, and time.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

Re: Streaming Live TV Through Plex On Roku Device.

Plex's live TV option is not, yet, available on the Roku line.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

While you are waiting for a ROKU Plex solution you should try the private channel XTV.

You add XTVIPTV on the private channel page.

If you are unfamiliar with adding private channels google it.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

I think there is a PLEX solution for Live TV with an HDHR tuner setup.  But it is for PLEX Pass subscribers.  Perhaps go to the PLEX forums and find out there.  I don't pay for PLEX pass so I watch my recordings using PLEX and watch Live TV by switching inputs on my TV's and using the TV's built-in tuners or watch free Live TV using XTV, Channel Pear and USTV Now and other Roku channels.  That is enough free sources to keep me entertained.  But you can always subscribe to Sling, Fubo, DirecTV or other Live TV providers on Roku.  Hope this information is helpful.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

I've NEVER had good luck with watching live TV via my HDHomerun to my Roku or AppleTV - it's always slow and buggy, and tends to crash if you change channels too often. This is unfortunately true with the new Plex features (that I don't believe are available on Roku yet). Maybe it's my computer and its processor, but it's never worked that well. 
0 Kudos
BillOatman
Level 7

I've done some research on this.  The problem seems to be that the hdhomerun extend provides the video/audio in a .TS container, and the Roku only understands the .MKV container.  So Plex needs to transcode for the Roku, even if the video and audio in the container are already fine for the Roku.

Can someone from Roku comment on if you are considering adding .TS container support?  It would be a big help.

I have a Roku Ultra and a Roku 3.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"BillOatman" wrote:
I've done some research on this.  The problem seems to be that the hdhomerun extend provides the video/audio in a .TS container, and the Roku only understands the .MKV container.  So Plex needs to transcode for the Roku, even if the video and audio in the container are already fine for the Roku.

Can someone from Roku comment on if you are considering adding .TS container support?  It would be a big help.

I have a Roku Ultra and a Roku 3.

Thanks!

Roku doesn't announce any such support before it launches. Well, most of the time. If they ever do, it won't be here on a user supported forum, but at https://blog.roku.com

Always assume that if it doesn't have the functionality, it won't have the functionality. Never, ever get anything -- Roku or otherwise -- based on what it might do one day.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos