Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Streaming Facebook video from my computer, via a Roku device, to my TV

I have a Roku 3 for a few years now, and it works fine for streaming directly from the internet service to my 11 year old TV.  But. Now I want to start streaming weekly church services on Facebook to my TV. I have read that some of the Roku devices can be used for that. And that Windows DLNA is involved. I do have a few questions.

1) I assume that I probably need to get a newer Roku device to do this. I don't mind, as the Roku 3 remote is a little simplistic.  But, what Roku devices are recommended? Be aware, I have an ethernet cable plugged into my Roku 3. I would prefer to keep using the ethernet cable to connect for streaming things like Hulu over the internet, and to also use wireless to stream from my PC to the Roku device/TV, if there are some Roku devices that do support that.

2) For streaming Facebook video from my computer, I am thinking to use Plex, just because that is one of the suggestions I saw on the internet, for using DLNA to broadcast to a TV. If anybody knows of better or simplre options, I would appreciate hearing about it. Does Roku make any apps or software that I could use for this purpose.

3) I will just note, my PC is a fairly powerful gaming computer. It has the raw horsepower to deal with things like this, even if I might have to install some software. (I know I will have to put a USB wireless adapter on my PC, but I've got one of those laying around.

4) From what material I've been able to find, my 11 year old Samsung TV supports DLNA. (Though it apparently does not support direct wireless connections.) If the TV ultimately turns out to not do what we want, well, at least the regret money will be low for me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Streaming Facebook video from my computer, via a Roku device, to my TV

You should talk to this guy @atc98092 

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Hi DJohnson!

You can't send your Windows desktop to a Roku device with DLNA. DLNA is very useful for sending media you have stored on the computer: video, music or pictures. But without massive configuration and special software you can't send whatever is being viewed on the computer. What you are referring to is usually called casting or desktop sharing. It's possible with Windows 10, but honestly it seems to be hit or miss if it will really work. I can't say if your Roku player is too old, but it's possible.

I just tried connecting the laptop I'm using to my Roku Ultra 4640, and to my amazement it connected. I used the directions on this page: https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-screen-mirror-from-windows-10-to-roku-12655

I can't find any Facebook plug-in for Plex after doing a quick web search. Are you certain there's some way to use Plex for that?

Are you certain your church isn't available via YouTube?  That's how my church streams services. In fact, I'm one of the audio engineers that handles the mixing for either the online or in-house audio. YouTube works just fine on a Roku 3, and if your old TV supports DLNA it might even have a YouTube app available, so wouldn't need the Roku at all. Although the Roku 3 is likely much newer than your TV.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hmmm, well, maybe I can stream my entire screen, including whatever happens to be playing on Facebook, to a Roku Ultra whatever is the current number. FYI, the directions I found are remarkably similar to what's in the link you used. Which would be an acceptable solution, if it works. This does seem to be an area that's not been so thoroughly explored.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@DJohnson5780 wrote:

Hmmm, well, maybe I can stream my entire screen, including whatever happens to be playing on Facebook, to a Roku Ultra whatever is the current number. FYI, the directions I found are remarkably similar to what's in the link you used. Which would be an acceptable solution, if it works. This does seem to be an area that's not been so thoroughly explored.

Yes, when sharing your screen in that method, whatever is on the computer screen also appears on the Roku. That is exactly what I just saw when I tested it. I opened YouTube on my computer, played a video, and the audio came through the TV's sound system same as anything else I play, along with the audio of course. So if you play a video on Facebook, it will display with video and audio on the TV. As I mentioned, sometimes this is hit or miss.

Again, if your church is using YouTube as their video streaming backend, you'd have a easier time just using the YouTube channel on your Roku. While my church does embed the video on their own web site, it's still coming from YouTube, and can be accessed directly on the YouTube channel on YouTube. That's how we are watching our church services. 

Just an FYI: you posted this in the community section of the forum, not under device support. The moderators might move this thread into a more appropriate section tomorrow, in case you have a problem finding this thread later. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos