Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billthecat
Level 7

Streaming Channels

When I search for a channel and add it, I am required to activate the channel with an activation code through my internet provider.  I receive the "success" message and my tv displays the channel.  When I go into the channel and select an episode I receive the message  "this program is not included in your tv subscription...please contact your tv provider"   …..   It appears the flag is being blocked by my internet provider.  When I speak to them they tell me if I want these channels I have to subscribe to their cable package and pay their monthly fee.  However their escalation engineers fixed this issue December 2018 for me but now no one will address it.  Everything I add through Roku is blocked.  Suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Streaming Channels

Is the channel you've added a Cable provider channel, like Spectrum or Xfinity?

If so, yes, you'll need to be a paying member for the content within that cable package to watch it on your Roku. This is how it's always been. If they fixed it for you before, I don't think that was the norm. If I don't have TNT as part of my cable package, I can't watch it on the Spectrum cable channel on my Roku. This especially applies to premium shows and movies offered on premium services such as HBO and Starz. No pay, no play.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
billthecat
Level 7

My provider, Hotwire, provides only internet service.  I installed the Roku app on my TV.  From there you can search in Roku for channels to add.   ie:  I search for the history channel, click on it, select add channel, the channel is added to the roku lineup, select it and sign in, when you sign in it gives you a website to go to (history.com/activate) and a code to enter.  You go to the history activate site and enter the code, then it asks you for the name of your "provider" and there must be over 500 names, so then I click on hotwire communications and it is verified that they are my provider, then the activate site gives me the "success" message (all on my laptop), then on my tv the history channel says "activated" and so then I select a program from the history channel but when I try to select an episode to watch it tells me "you have not subscribed to this channel, please contact your cable provider"...…   This has worked for over a year and a half up til now.  And now my provider is telling me I have to subscribe to one of their "packages" and pay monthly to get this channel or other channels that I have been streaming through roku for over a year and a half.  What has happened is that they are not accepting the activation flag coming back.  They are blocking the activation/unlocking of the programs.  Why?  Because they are loosing money with people streaming channels for free....  So I guess now I will have to dump roku for another streaming app??????????????????   Any input on this is most welcomed!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

If you don't use Hotwire for Cable, and only internet, then yes, you need to subscribe to Hotwire's cable to get their cable channels on Roku, or ANY OTHER STREAMING BOX. The services are controlled by the same companies across the board. If it doesn't work on your Roku, it most likely won't work on your Amazon Fire Stick/box or Apple TV either. Don't blame Roku or Amazon or Apple- this is the work of the cable companies.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
billthecat
Level 7

This is the new "norm" to prevent people from streaming channels for free.  My sister has the amazon firestick but has only internet from her provider.  She does NOT have a cable subscription through her provider.  She streams anything she wants and it is free, as it used to be with Roku.  Since this is happening across the board with providers now blocking free streaming, I am certain a viable solution is coming soon that will set the providers back again.  I worked for IBM over 20 years as a programmer, thank god for the geeks...…….!  They will stick it once again to the cable companies.  People are tired of paying high prices to providers for packages and service that are worthless........
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"billthecat" wrote:
This is the new "norm" to prevent people from streaming channels for free.  My sister has the amazon firestick but has only internet from her provider.  She does NOT have a cable subscription through her provider.  She streams anything she wants and it is free, as it used to be with Roku.  Since this is happening across the board with providers now blocking free streaming, I am certain a viable solution is coming soon that will set the providers back again.  I worked for IBM over 20 years as a programmer, thank god for the geeks...…….!  They will stick it once again to the cable companies.  People are tired of paying high prices to providers for packages and service that are worthless........

You sister probably has Kodi on her firestick, allowing her to leas-than-ethically stream whatever she wants. I guaranty, most legal streaming cable channels require a cable subscription.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos