Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Stopping autoplay on thumbnails on You Tube

@JeepinJester has the correct answer. You have to disable "Previews with sound". It's something new that Google added to the channel a while back. At least they didn't do like Netflix and force it on you with no way of turning it off for years. It took a lot of complaints before Netflix finally allowed disabling it. Google at least put the ability to disable it there from the beginning.

But there is still no way to disable the preview animation when a clip is highlighted. I've just learned to live with those. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
nslice
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately that is not the correct answer.  "Previews with sound" is already disabled.

We are on the Roku using YouTube...

When you hover on any video it starts GIFing/previewing the video...

Not only is this a silly and useless feature...

It's also UNABLE TO BE TURNED OFF.

jmahone4
Channel Surfer

Just want to reinforce how irritating these thumbnail animated gifs are. I hardly watch YouTube anymore because I feel nauseous trying to look for content. Planning to switch away for Roku because this used to be a favorite activity. Too bad they cannot create a fix to disable these repeated animations. 

nslice
Channel Surfer

Agreed.  Simply put the option in to turn it off.  If there's people out there that enjoy having a mini-seizure when scanning YouTube, then they can leave it on.  Not everyone has popcorn brain though.  We don't need madness and action to feel like something is exciting.  Fix it please.

atc98092

@nslice wrote:

We don't need madness and action to feel like something is exciting.  Fix it please.

You're asking in the wrong place. Roku doesn't create the channels used on their devices, other than The Roku Channel. For YouTube, you need to contact Google. They own YouTube and create the apps for all the various devices that access it. Roku has zero control over how a channel works.

Dan

0 Kudos
nslice
Channel Surfer

I'm quite certain that Roku and Google/YouTube have some sort of business relationship in that they're able to communicate with one another regarding their application and its' use on the platform.  Obviously it's not on the customer to run around trying to find the right avenue to post on a specific and 100% accurate message board to address the issue.  Certainly Roku is aware of these complaints.  Certainly Google/YouTube is aware of these complaints.  Fix the **bleep**.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts. 

As @atc98092 mentioned, for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nslice
Channel Surfer

Not our job to handle this.  You work for Roku, correct?  Since you represent Roku and your customers have issue with something, perhaps you should contact your business partner on your customer's behalf to communicate the issue. 

atc98092

@nslice that's where you're confused. Roku is in no way a partner with Google. Roku provides the platform that Google uses to offer the end user (us) their content. Yes, Google and Roku have some sort of agreement about revenue sharing from advertisements. But when it comes to the functionality of the channel, it's under the sole control of the provider (Google), and Roku has less input to them than we do as the end user. We are the one generating revenue for Google by viewing their content (and ads), so we are the ones that can make an impact on Google's bottom line. Roku has zero power over Google in this regard. 

Every channel on Roku devices, with the exception of The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player, are the property of different companies. As long as they comply with the Roku terms of use, they are free to do what they wish on the Roku platform. Roku has no power to enforce anything that isn't specifically covered by their terms of use. 

Dan

0 Kudos
nslice
Channel Surfer

No real confusion here.  Just urging someone to take the extra step that's needed here.  For example, 'get crazy' and send an email or make a call.  Certainly there is an existing, established communication between the two business partners.  So, instead of end users running around trying to find the right message board to post a message to that will be ignored forever  ....maybe someone can put forth a smidge of extra effort and send a communication.

It's not complex.