Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
art33
Binge Watcher

Stopping autoplay on thumbnails on You Tube

Last week the You Tube station started auto playing the thumbnails.  It never used to do that and while you can disable the 'autoplay' for the next full video to play, there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the annoying nauseating moving images on the thumbnails.  If there isn't a way to stop that, I will have to stop watching it on the Roku TV because it literally makes me want to barf every time it frantically tries to play the video in the little thumbnail pic.  

25 REPLIES 25
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Stopping autoplay on thumbnails on You Tube

That doesn't happen for me.

What I'm wondering is, are the thumbnails you talking about regular YouTube videos? Or are they YouTube music videos? If they are music videos, there's a separate setting for those. The regular disable autoplay setting doesn't affect music videos. Look for the setting for those.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
art33
Binge Watcher

no, it is not music videos, it is all videos if the cursor is anywhere in the vicinity they will start frantically playing at accelerated speed. There is no setting to turn it off.  The auto play setting is for it to play the next video automatically once you finish watching one, it has nothing to do with the thumbnails.  I hate it.  HATE IT HATE IT  HATE IT!!!!!!

DBDukes

@art33 wrote:

no, it is not music videos, it is all videos if the cursor is anywhere in the vicinity they will start frantically playing at accelerated speed. There is no setting to turn it off.  The auto play setting is for it to play the next video automatically once you finish watching one, it has nothing to do with the thumbnails.  I hate it.  HATE IT HATE IT  HATE IT!!!!!!

What cursor? Roku doesn't have a cursor like you have on Web browsers. You can use the arrows on the remote to move from one selected item to the next, but there is no cursor to be "in the vicinity" of anything.

Maybe restate the issue.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

The switch to stop it is in the settings. The first setting at the top is turning off Autoplay, but the next setting down is turning off Music previews. Turn that setting to off will keep YouTube from playing sound on thumbnails in regular videos as well. They should have called that setting Thumbnail Preview instead of Music Preview. 

0 Kudos
Pbrawner

I’m having this issue also and absolutely cannot stand it! I have noticed it doesn’t auto play every thumbnail though. I changed the setting in YouTube and it fixed it for my mobile phone but not my laptop or TV through Roku. So so so so annoying how YouTube does this. 

In settings, I set "Previews with sound" to off.  The YouTube thumbnail new "gif" images are indeed nauseating.  Did anyone actually get these to stop the thumbnail gifs from playing?  Static pictures for a video thumbnail are great.  Why YouTube doesn't appear to allow end users to turn off the 10x speed bizarre quickly moving gifs images. Who makes designs these user interfaces? Unbelievable.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@JeepinJester

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact YouTube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nslice
Channel Surfer

Agreed. Ridiculous! I too despise the seizure-inducing GIF-type previews of any video I hover over. I doubt the majority of people like this. To me, it’s terrible. But fine if you want it, just give us the **bleep** option to turn it off!

renojim

@nslice, you have to take it up with Youtube/Google.  It's their channel/app.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos