Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljluck
Level 7

Steam personal content from PC?

Hello Roku community.

I tried searching for this question, but I cannot seem to find anything - just not sure if I am using the correct terminology or not.

Just curious if Roku has the option to stream contact from a media folder on a PC.  I used to be able to do this with my TiVo, but they took that option away recently.  I would have access to my PC from my TiVo and be able to access a folder where I stored home videos, movies, etc....  Is this something you can do with Roku by chance?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Steam personal content from PC?

I could be wrong, but I think TiVo content would first need to be converted with a TiVo app -- provided TiVo still offers that functionality. Then, once converted, you could store it in, say, MP4 format and use another utility such as Plex to stream it to the TiVo.

If you're looking for on-the-fly conversion from Tivo and streaming it locally, I'm not sure that's possible.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ljluck
Level 7

Thanks, Basil.  

Just to clarify, I am no longer using TiVo.  Not looking to convert any TiVo extensions or anything.  I am just hoping that I can access a media folder on my PC (like I did with my TiVo) to stream content like home movies and the like.  Do you know if this is possible?  I am guessing that if so, the format would need to be MP4, AVI, or other well know extensions.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Jon
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

A Wild Guess:
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2 ... dia-player
If you have some media - Roku Media Player might play it.

If you have troublesome media RMP won't play, and a strongish PC:
https://www.plex.tv/
Theoretically...:
The Plex Server 'Serves' media to various clients you may have, like your Roku, for instance.
Install the free Plex App on your Roku
Install the free Plex Server on your PC
Follow the instructions for loading up some lilbraries
hope Plex can transcode what needs to be transcoded and direct play what it can on your Roku

Caveat:
Best of luck, 'cause a once easy install and reliable service has bloomed into a full fledged hit or miss operation pretty much all around.
Worth a try though, cause if it works, you'll love it.

If not, there's still PMP... We hope.

Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Roku can't connect directly to a shared folder on your computer. But you can use DLNA to stream your media with Roku Media Player (what DubTaylor linked to), or use a proprietary solution like Plex. Roku will only play media in a particular format/container/codec. so the DLNA server automatically converts any non-supported media for playback. If your media is all in a supported format, Windows 7 and later has a built in DLNA server function, and does a barely adequate job. I just prefer the presentation and options available via either a quality DLNA server or Plex. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos