Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twowheeler
Level 7

Starz won't accept Roku subscription

Roku added Starz after I said I wanted it to continue from Dish. I still had to add it to my subscription and I did with the 7 day free trial. But when I try to watch Starz, it says I have to sign up or login to the Starz account. I don't have a Starz account. The Roku instructions said that the billing would be handled from Roku account. Looks like Starz wants an account created so they can bill me. How do I get Starz to allow me to watch and still have Roku handle billing.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Starz won't accept Roku subscription

I don't think it's possible.  In general, if you pay for something through Roku you can only watch it on a Roku device.   You may be able to cancel your Roku subscription and sign up through Starz and watch it anywhere you want.  To watch it on a Roku, Starz would probably have to have a stand-alone channel (not within The Roku Channel), but I'm not sure.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
twowheeler
Level 7

Ok,  I will go ahead and cancel the Roku subscription first . Then I'll create an account with Starz.

0 Kudos
twowheeler
Level 7

I think I understand the issue at this point. Because Roku asked me if I had Starz and if I wanted to keep it. I said yes during the initial setup of Roku. What happened is that Roku added that Starz app to the home screen. There is already a "Starz on the Roku channel " on the home page. Because Roku created the additional one, I presumed that was necessary for my new Starz account. As I signed up for free trial of Starz from Roku, I assumed that it would be available using the additional Starz app it created. That is where I was trying to use my free trial and could not. I never attempted to use the "Starz on the Roku channel".  So I have canceled my subscription with Roku. I used the new Starz app and created a new account and as I was filling it out, I get a 7 day free trial and I can pay by the quarter and get 11% off each month. I'm glad I went this route. I'm not glad I was confused with the initialization option presented to me by Roku. 

I am now able to view things from the Starz app. I'm writing this up to possibly help others .

0 Kudos