Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Starz won't accept Roku subscription

Roku added Starz after I said I wanted it to continue from Dish. I still had to add it to my subscription and I did with the 7 day free trial. But when I try to watch Starz, it says I have to sign up or login to the Starz account. I don't have a Starz account. The Roku instructions said that the billing would be handled from Roku account. Looks like Starz wants an account created so they can bill me. How do I get Starz to allow me to watch and still have Roku handle billing.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Starz won't accept Roku subscription

I don't think it's possible.  In general, if you pay for something through Roku you can only watch it on a Roku device.   You may be able to cancel your Roku subscription and sign up through Starz and watch it anywhere you want.  To watch it on a Roku, Starz would probably have to have a stand-alone channel (not within The Roku Channel), but I'm not sure.

Highlighted
Level 7

Ok,  I will go ahead and cancel the Roku subscription first . Then I'll create an account with Starz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I think I understand the issue at this point. Because Roku asked me if I had Starz and if I wanted to keep it. I said yes during the initial setup of Roku. What happened is that Roku added that Starz app to the home screen. There is already a "Starz on the Roku channel " on the home page. Because Roku created the additional one, I presumed that was necessary for my new Starz account. As I signed up for free trial of Starz from Roku, I assumed that it would be available using the additional Starz app it created. That is where I was trying to use my free trial and could not. I never attempted to use the "Starz on the Roku channel".  So I have canceled my subscription with Roku. I used the new Starz app and created a new account and as I was filling it out, I get a 7 day free trial and I can pay by the quarter and get 11% off each month. I'm glad I went this route. I'm not glad I was confused with the initialization option presented to me by Roku. 

I am now able to view things from the Starz app. I'm writing this up to possibly help others .

0 Kudos