Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddibiase
Level 7

Spotify Randomly Starts and Interrupts Current Program

Hi, I have a 40" TCL TV that I purchased in December 2019. I have a bunch of the 'normal' streaming channels installed as well as Spotify. In the last month or so, I've had this strange issue where Spotify will randomly start up and interrupt whatever show I was watching, at loud volume. It was initially only when I was streaming but it now has started with regular TV. It has only happened about 6 times but it's very irritating, and I have to exit out of the streaming channel I am watching back to Home, then all is normal again (except for the volume which must be manually decreased). Any help with this would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8\
KO8
Level 7

Re: Spotify Randomly Starts and Interrupts Current Program

I'm having a similar problem and am eager to learn what's going on and how to resolve this. In my case, the TV is turning on by itself and playing loud music (nothing that I would ever listen to BTW).

I did find mention if the remote batteries are running low, the remote may send off "weird" signals. I just changed the batteries and have my fingers crossed.

ddibiase
Level 7

I've only had this TV since December but perhaps it is related to the batteries. I will change mine as well. Hadn't actually had this issue happen for a bit, then it happened twice last night, once on regular TV and once on streaming... If the battery thing doesn't work, and I don't get a fix here, I'm just going to delete Spotify off the TV.

0 Kudos
KO8
Level 7

Changing the batteries did not help, so I removed the Spotify app from the Roku TV.  Finally, no more surprises with loud music playing randomly....

0 Kudos
matyoshi
Level 7

It just happened to my TV too.

I was watching recommend content on telus pvr and all the sudden spotify starts playing music loudly. is it Roku tv problem or telus?

0 Kudos
rwarren77
Level 7

It is a security glitch. Three times in the last month the same thing happened to me - I was using my laptop to do work using my TCL with Roku built in as my external monitor. Out of the blue the feed switched from the computer to the Spotify and some random music (not mine) started playing. Really loud. Some other person who was on the same wifi was trying to play their Spotify and my Roku showed up in their list and they could play to my device. They are on the same wifi but I have never paired to their device. I quickly checked settings and sure enough, there were two accounts to choose from for Spotify; mine and some other random person. In the security settings there is nothing available to prevent this. I checked other forums and it turns out this is a known issue that has not been addressed by Spotify / Roku. Anybody who is on the same wifi as you can take over your Roku device and stream Spotify to it, there are no settings to prevent this, your device is simply open to anyone to assume control over it. Even if you are in the middle of working on a browser or watching Netflix, any device whatsoever on the same wifi as you can assume control of your Roku device and stream any music at any volume at any time. This is a severe programming glitch, and despite it being sent to Roku & Spotify in forums and help requests over the last couple of years it has not been addressed. Until they fix the problem, any person on the same wifi as you can take control of your Roku TV whether you like it or not. To Roku & Spotify: Please reprogram so that users can select 'only their chosen devices' so that strangers on the same shared wifi can not hijack our devices. Thanks

0 Kudos
Smjcanadian
Level 7

Same problem here. The TV turns on by itself in the middle of the night and starts streaming random Spotify music via the Roku. It's playing from my phone, but what triggered it is completely beyond me, as it's not playlists that I listen to.

0 Kudos
rwarren77
Level 7

From what I have learned, the problem is related to a feature which allows you to play Spotify on your Roku device using any of your devices that you have on your home network. You can play Spotify from your phone, iPad, computer, etc and send it to your Roku device, as long as all your devices on are the same Wifi network.

So if you are on shared Wifi, such as a coffee shop, hotel, etc, and have a Roku device, anyone on that same Wifi can see your device and stream to it.

When on shared Wifi, to prevent randos from being able to play to your Roku device:

• System > Advanced System Settings > Control by mobile apps > Network > Choose “Permissive” or “Disabled”.

If you choose 'permissive' when someone tries to stream to your Roku, your TV will stop whatever you were playing and instead display a code, which of course they can not get unless they are in the same room as your TV, so with 'permissive' you will still experience a disruption but at least no one can just start playing their music on your TV. If you choose 'disabled' you will not get interrupted, but you will lose the ability to stream from any of your devices, and Spotify on your Roku will not talk to Spotify on your other devices. Normally if you pick up a device while playing from another, the Roku TV and the Spotify app will tell you that you are playing from device A to Roku and ask if you want to switch. So this type of feature will not work if you choose 'disabled'.

0 Kudos
Wolff
Level 7

Fixed!!! It appears that updating my Spotify app on my phone fixed it so far. For some reason the app on my phone was stuck on different music.

0 Kudos