Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luerk
Level 7

Spectrum news app defaults on startup of app instead of last channel watched

Jump to solution

Just in the last few days, when I start up my Roku and select Spectrum, instead of defaulting to the last Spectrum channel I watched, it defaults to channel 1, the Spectrum news app.  This requires me to scroll back through all the channels to the premium channels I normally watch (in the 500s).  Everyone knows the biggest complaint with Roku is that you can't enter channel numbers directly.  Is there a workaround on this?  It is REALLY aggravating.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Spectrum news app defaults on startup of app instead of last channel watched

Jump to solution

@luerk 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Spectrum support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Spectrum support here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Spectrum news app defaults on startup of app instead of last channel watched

Jump to solution

@luerk 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Spectrum support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Spectrum support here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
PJScoob
Level 7

Jump to solution

You can go into the settings and change your power on station to "last channel". I had to fumble around looking for it but its under preferences somewhere. It's worth hunting for... anything is better than that Spectrum "news" channel.

UPDATE: I found it! While watching the Spectrum News 1 dribble, hit the back arrow key. A search screen comes up with:

Live TV | Guide | My Library | On Demand | Video Store

In the bottom left corner there is a gear symbol for the spectrum settings menu. That's the magic button that opens the gateway to being able to get rid of the dribble station.

Under "Preferences", to the right, you can disable the startup channel feature, but this might default to the dribble station we're trying to get rid of. Instead, go to "Manage Startup Channel" and pick anything you want.

Bookmark this post or write it down because every time Spectrum updates their app, that fantasyland dribble comes back and you have to go through this again to get rid of it.

Gt25
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku devices & within the past week the start up channel on both tv’s is Spectrum NYC. I don’t live in NYC & dislike Spectrum “news.” This does not happen on my main non Roku tv. 

There is no way to change the default station on Roku. No “settings” or “preferences” found on Spectrum app for Roku. No help from Spectrum. Aggravating😤

SourPatch
Level 7

Jump to solution

Pull up the screen where it shows live TV-guide-on demand and click on the * in the bottom left. This will bring up settings for preferences and you can choose your channel for start up or turn it off all together. I was having this issue all of a sudden and just figured it out finally.

SourPatch
Level 7

Jump to solution

When you are in the spectrum app click the ⬅️ to go to the screen that shows Live TV- Guide - On Demand etc. and click the * in the bottom left and this will bring up the settings for that preference and you can choose your startup channel or turn that off. Hope this helps.

Gt25
Level 7

Jump to solution

😁👍Thank you so much! Your Perseverance paid off!  It took that extra step that I had not figured out. Issue resolved!

RiverRM
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
ssbeck1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks. It was really frustrating me since I could care less about NYC. Thought I had changed a setting myself that was the cause. Checked here first to see if it could be corrected.

slvonhof
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you! I believe it worked!

0 Kudos