Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chasstark
Level 7

Spectrum limits FOX New Live

can not afford cable tv 
need internet for information and news''
SPECTRUM INTERNET IS BLOCKING ANY THING LIVE
CAN ONLY LOOK AT DAY OLD STUFF
ROKU FOX NEWS IS FOR DAY OLD MATERIAL ONLY
0 Kudos
10 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: SPECTRUM BLOCKS FOX NEWS LIVE

And, what do you need?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

If that's true, your issue is with Spectrum. No one here can offer any assistance. Not certain if the law has changed yet, with all the nonsense about dropping Net Neutrality, but that doesn't sound legal. The only thing I can think of to get past that would be a VPN. But since that's a very sensitive topic on this forum, that's all I'll say on that topic. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

can not afford cable tv 

If you only have Spectrum internet you're not going to have access to Fox News live (or anything else live from what i remember), you need a cable subscription.
0 Kudos
xackley
Level 7

I would suggest checking out  NYtimes.com and washingtonpost.com if you are interested in news, weather.com will keep you informed on temperature and precipitation.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Perhaps someone can break down all the U.S. TV news offerings.  I'd previously tried to look this up for someone, but it's really not my forte.

If I understand, Fox News is a separate cable TV news channel just like CNN (there's also Fox Business, CNBC, etc).  So the TV Everywhere apps for these channels would require pay TV authentication, at least for the live feeds or current episodes.

ABC News, CBS News, and NBC News are just the news divisions of their respective OTA broadcast TV networks (CBS runs CBSN as a full-time digital news network but not on a traditional cable carriage).  They do offer dedicated news apps, and the excellent ABC News and CBS News Roku apps in particular provided supplemental live streams and perhaps even episodes of on-air news programs, all free without login?  (Ironically the main ABC app requires TVE authentication for live and new content, and the main CBS app requires its own All Access subscription.)

I'm not sure how much news programming is on the main Fox broadcast network, I assume they just re-air stuff from the Fox News and Fox Business cable channels?

Strangely the NBC News app is supposed to carry the news content from both broadcast NBC, and sister cable channel MSNBC (which doesn't have its own app).  IIRC it didn't require any pay TV authentication, but it also had mostly clips.

Bottom line, for live (or full-length) news content on the Roku for free, no account required, are these apps good:

- NewsOn for local (plus any station affiliate apps)
- CBS News
- ABC News
- Pluto TV
- Haystack TV
- Plex

What about Newsy, Reuters TV, Bloomberg, etc?  Or international outfits like Sky News, Al Jazeera, etc?
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

OP is complaining he's not getting what he's not paying for, apparently.

Spectrum app works fine for me on all expected channels. But, I'm also paying them for service.
0 Kudos
RayDav
Level 7

I have Charter, now Spectrum, Internet and TV.  I have had Fox News on Roku for several years.  With Roku I can watch full programs and clips what and when I want.  Everything works.

I just got two current model Roku devices: one wireless and one wired.  On the new devices full shows have a padlock icon.  Fox wants a TV provider.  It lists Charter but not Spectrum.  Selecting Charter just loops back to select provider.  

It seems that when the provider was Charter, Fox recognized it, but does not know it is now Spectrum.  Whose issue is this, Fox, Spectrum or Roku?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

"RayDav" wrote:
It seems that when the provider was Charter, Fox recognized it, but does not know it is now Spectrum.  Whose issue is this, Fox, Spectrum or Roku?

I would say FOX.  It's their app that is bouncing you to the wrong authentication site.   Possibly SPECTRUM needs to inform FOX of the change.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
Cy1_cy1
Level 7

The Fox news app has been working fine for me until tonight. When I click on it, it starts to load, but when the bar is about half way, it kicks me back to the home screen. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos