Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GHeyes17
Level 7

Spectrum app - What just happened?

I used to lament that the Spectrum app seemed to be in 720 resolution instead of 1080 but, not long ago, this was fixed and I was happy.

So happy, in fact, that after using it for a few weeks I was almost convinced that I could get rid of my cable box.

Then, this past Sunday, while watching the Spectrum app I started getting "Buffering" messages. After that, it's worse than ever! 

I wouldn't even call it 720... it's more like 350... or less! 

I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled it to no avail. Even reboot the Roku too.

Does anyone know what's up with this?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
frankkasten
Level 7

Re: Spectrum app - What just happened?

6 or so months ago I was  Spectrum TV subscriber with a cable box on one TV and apps on the other three.  The cable box was great, the app terrible for the buffering reasons you discussed.  I kept the high speed internet but dropped the TV after many calls and discussions with customer support and tech support.  I switched to YouTube TV apps on all my TV's and have never looked back.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

As far as I know, Spectrum, even the cable box, tops out at 720p or 1080i tops.. no 1080p.

I could be wrong.

As far as poor streaming quality, if try changing wifi channels.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
GHeyes17
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
As far as I know, Spectrum, even the cable box, tops out at 720p or 1080i tops.. no 1080p.

I could be wrong.

As far as poor streaming quality, if try changing wifi channels.

Good idea, but wifi isn't the issue... it's plugged into a direct line from my modem and every other app/channel works just fine.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Very weird.. and you've rebooted all of your network equipment? Are you using any special DNS settings on your router? You could try Google Public DNS settings on your router as an experiment, and if you like it, leave it set that way (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the addresses).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
GHeyes17
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Very weird.. and you've rebooted all of your network equipment? Are you using any special DNS settings on your router? You could try Google Public DNS settings on your router as an experiment, and if you like it, leave it set that way (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the addresses).

Rebooted everything and no special DNS settings. In fact, everything is the same as it was before the thing crashed.
G
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

If all other streaming channels are working normally, and do not experience the issue you described in the Spectrum channel, it's likely an issue within Spectrum's channel (app) that they will need to investigate. Each channel provider controls and maintains the content delivery systems that supply their channel. If there is an issue within those systems, this may cause the type of behavior you are seeing. 

You'll want to follow up with Spectrum support again to describe the issue, let them know that you don't run into the streaming quality issue in any other channels on your device, and request that they investigate and provide additional support. You can reach Spectrum support here: https://www.spectrum.net/contact-us/

Let us know if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Spectrum app working fine here and in 1080p.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I used to have Spectrum and the app was always pretty bad and a big reason why I cancelled cable, also, I have no idea if this varies by region, but when I tried to get rid of my Spectrum cable box so I wouldn't have a monthly fee and just use Roku and the app, I was told Spectrum requires at least one cable box in the house if there's a cable subscription (the other reason I dropped Spectrum).
0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 7

The Spectrum app is dependent on their cable service - as latency goes up, quality goes down.  Since cable-based internet is ultimately a 'shared' service, you're at the mercy of how much bandwidth your neighbors are using as well, resulting in good or bad quality which is out of your control.
0 Kudos