Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Spectrum TV app not found on onn Roku TV.

Jump to solution

Roku does not have "complete" control over the channel store. They can remove channels, yes. But they cannot alter where a developer has configured a channel to be available. So for example they can't make Disney+ available in countries that Disney hasn't configured in their settings. 

From what I have found, there is no generic Android app for Spectrum. There is for Chromecast, but not for other Android based players or TVs. There is one for the XBox, iOS and Samsung TVs. I'm not aware of any other devices.

Here's the listing from the Spectrum page:

APPLE device requirements: iPad®, iPad®mini, iPhone®and iPod Touch®,running iOS 12 or higher.
KINDLE FIRE tablet requirements: All Kindle Fire models, including Kindle Fire HDX, are supported, except first-generation Kindle Fire.
ANDROID device requirements: All tablets and phones running Android 5.0 or higher are supported.
Xbox One requirements: All Xbox One models are supported.
Samsung Smart TV requirements: TV model years 2012 and newer are supported.
Google Chromecast requirements: All Google Chromecast devices supported.
Charter-authorized modem is required to stream on Xbox One and Samsung Smart TV.

Notice for Android devices it specifically says phones and tablets. I checked the play store and it's not available on my Shield players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
b12345
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You can find the android app on the play store. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TWCableTV

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, it's in the play store. But it's unavailable for Shield players. It will not permit installation. Perhaps there's a file that can be sideloaded somewhere, but you can't get it from the official source. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@b12345 wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-16/at-t-forges-deal-to-get-hbo-max-on-roku-after-lon...

Here's what we know:

- Roku has complete control over their channel store. 

- Roku removed the channel from their channel system. From the Bloomberg story in December:  "This week, Roku blocked new downloads of Charter Communications Inc.’s Spectrum TV app from Roku’s online store."

- Roku has a history of removing channels to get more money or user information from content providers. "The fight over HBO Max was one of many that Roku has waged recently as its customer base grows and it tries to generate more revenue from selling ads inside streaming apps."

- The Spectrum app still works on many other devices (Apple, some Amazon, Android, Chromecast, xbox1, samsung) and you can watch in a web browser on most regular computers. 

- In some cases Spectrum will help you get the app back on your Roku if you had it before the dispute. 

Here's what we don't know: 

- How much money or customer viewing information Roku wants to get from Spectrum before they allow the app to go back on the channel store. 

- What Roku will allow Spectrum to do to help customers during the dispute. 

Roku didnt remove the app from their app system.  Its still there and updating, just not available for new customers/new installs.  Blocking new downloads isnt the same as removing the app from the app store (just as a point of obvious logic).

Furthermore, Spectrum also provides links to reinstall the app if accidentally removed/deleted, providing the account previously downloaded/used the Roku Spectrum app prior to the expiration of the agreement.

We dont know, nor will we ever know, the details of whatever agreement Spectrum and Roku had, or the current negotiating positions, or the details of whatever agreement they work out, if any, so its moot to question the details of this;  however, the Spectrum app is still in the app store (and being updated/serviced), though new downloads are blocked (aside from the previously mentioned redownload for accidental/etc deletions)

We know at the very least Roku is allowing Spectrum to 1) update the app 2) provide links to reinstall the app 3) continue to service customers using the app

We know that Roku has a history of renegotiating expiring/expired carriage agreements (like every other carrier), and has a much better negotiating position now than it had years ago when those carriage agreements were made.  We know that Rokus carriage disputes ultimately conclude with new carriage agreements, and full/complete new/old app/service access.

We know that there will be multiple megathreads during the dispute full of all manner of claims and speculations and prognostications, and that such threads will inevitably die soon after a new carriage deal is struck.

0 Kudos
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

What are you even talking about? This thread is about people wanting to use Spectrum app on Roku. Nothing at all to do with Android. Nothing.

0 Kudos
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Spectrum itself if blocking authentication of our new Spectrum account on their app on the Roku, which we had installed on Roku prior to its removal. This leads me to believe it is Spectrum denying use.

0 Kudos
b12345
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If you search for the spectrum tv app in the channel store you will not find it. The only way to get it is with a private link/code from Spectrum. 

Also, it appears that this forum is being censored. One of my messages in this thread has been removed in addition to a message in another thread. 

It would be nice if Roku would at least communicate with us about what is going on. I have not seen one word from them. As horrible as Spectrum can be at least they tell us what is going on. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The forum moderators can only say what Roku authorizes them to say. In this case, you are dealing with private negotiations between two companies, and they aren't going to say anything publicly about it. The moderators likely don't know any more than we do, so there's nothing to be said. Roku has a blog that they use for making public statements, so you're not going to hear anything here about it.

If you recall the HBO Max issue last year, nothing was heard from either side, other than a little posturing by HBO, until an agreement was reached. That's the way negotiations work. Since Spectrum is who you are paying money each month, I would expect them to be the ones providing any information. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Mickeyb

Jump to solution

This is what I got from Spectrum themselves

Spectrum TV App Update for Roku Users

Despite our best efforts to reach an agreement, Roku has not accepted Spectrum's offer to continue our contract that allowed customers to access the Spectrum TV app on Roku devices.

This change may prevent new downloads of the Spectrum TV app to your Roku device, but you can still access your full video library by downloading the Spectrum TV app to your Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox, smartphone or tablet.

If you already use the Spectrum TV app on Roku, your service shouldn’t be affected.

Be sure not to uninstall the app, but you can still add devices by signing in to your current account.

If you’re new to Roku, or if you have not yet downloaded the app, you can still access Spectrum programming on another device or use your smartphone or laptop to screen mirror Spectrum content to your Roku supported devices. Find out about using Apple AirPlay or HomeKit to cast or stream content. Get details on-screen mirroring from your Android device.

0 Kudos
seriksen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I spent two hours on the phone with spectrum, there is no private app key to re-install after deleting. Which I found out the hard way. that option no longer exists. So off to apple 4k..

0 Kudos