Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Re: Spectrum TV app not found on onn Roku TV.

Jump to solution

You will also lose the ability to USE the Spectrum app on Roku if you change Spectrum accounts. I gave an extra Roku to someone that had the Spectrum app already loaded and they had recently opened a new Spectrum account. A message came when trying to use the spectrum app on the roku that it was no longer able to be used. So keep that in mind if you move and get spectrum in someone else's name. Personally, I feel that this is spectrum being greedy because they realize people are cutting the cord and they also want to force people to rent their HD boxes for $10 a month EACH and if you have 3-4 rooms with TV that is way too much of a monthly cost adding several hundred dollars a year and an already large enough cable/internet bill. Roku allowed people to by pass having Spectrum's HD boxes for every TV. People should be free to purchase their own HD boxes instead of renting them from spectrum for an outrageous fee, but spectrum will hold people hostage much like Pacific-Bell used to with the old rotary phones they made people rent.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
AndreaH

Jump to solution

Roku removed the Spectrum App from their guides. They failed to reach an agreement they liked between them so you can no longer download it. If you had it already downloaded it will still work but new downloads of the app aren’t available.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-app-update-roku-users/

0 Kudos
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, I understand that the Spectrum app is no longer available to download. I HAVE the app on my roku already. However, I moved and the Spectrum cable account is now in my boyfriend's name as a new account. When we went to loggin to the Spectrum app on the Roku device, it gave a message saying it could no longer be used when we put in the new account name and password. I am assumning that if someone was already using Spectrum app on a roku, it was allowed to continue, but Spectrum (or Roku) cut off the use. Whoever is responsible for this  really needs to be fired. I don't care which company is responsible or why.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Since its a contract/agreement, and there are two sides to it (Roku & Charter Communications), and the two sides couldnt come to terms on a new contract/agreement, both sides are responsible - so both sides "needs to be fired".

As a consumer, the only way to accomplish that - since you cannot control who is employed by either company - is to use Cancel Culture (well, the consumer version thereof):  Cancel any/all Roku subscriptions, close your Roku account, and sell/throw away your devices & Cancel your Spectrum services and sell/return any equipment back to Spectrum.

Otherwise you'll either wait it out and/or complain.

(Also, of course creating a new account would result in loss of access to/usage of the app - an account has to have installed/used the Spectrum app on Roku prior to mid-December in order to continue using it or to be able to reinstall it (with the Spectrum provided link if you contact them).  Obviously, a new account created after mid-December doesnt qualify, so you knowingly created your own exclusion there.)

sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I purchased the Roku for the sole purpose of being able to use the Spectrum app. It's a pity that I am no longer able to use a device that I paid a lot of money for (I have 3 of the top of the line Rokus at like $80+ each) to watch a cable service that I also pay for. Both companies suck and should do better for their customers. Roku doesn't care if I through their devices away. They already have my money, but I'd never have  bought them if I knew this was going to happen. As for Spectrum, it is a monopoly in my area. Even if you can get tv channels elsewhere, they are the only game in town for Internet, unless you enjoy trying to stream on dial-up. BOTH Roku and Spectrum have done a complete disservice to their customers. Frankly, it's pathetic and disgusting.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, this is something that could happen with any device. They all have end user agreements that state that apps/channels could be removed at any time without warning. I can't say who's to blame in this specific situation. Perhaps both sides are being unreasonable. But if I look at who has the most to gain by losing Roku support, I believe Spectrum is the culprit. If you can't use a Roku, you have to either use one of the other few devices they support (Samsung TV, Chromecast) or rent a box from them. And box rentals is big money for them, I'm sure. 

If you had and was using the Spectrum channel before the termination date, you should be able to get that confirmed with Spectrum support and they will give you a private channel code to add the channel back into your Roku players. But you were not using the channel before that date, I'm assuming they legally can't give you the private code. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I think you're right./ Spectrum wants to force people to rent their boxes for every TV for $10 or so each. As if someone should have to add $30 to their already high cable bill so that they can use the service they pay for from Spectrum in a couple other rooms. Interestingly, most channels have app too and since there is only about 7 or 8 watchable channels on the hot garbage that is the "255 channel" Spectrum package, I simply downloaded the apps for those channels on the remaining TVs and so far have not missed the PoS Spectrum app.

0 Kudos
PegF2145

Jump to solution

I have Spectrum streaming and have 8 Rokus for my devices. I discontinued Spectrum streaming for 5-6 weeks while I was away from home.  When I returned I signed up for Spectrum streaming again (I have the Spectrum app on all my Rokus)   While trying to stream I could not get it to work. When I called Spectrum they told me that since I had discontinued Spectrum for any period of time, I couldn’t use Spectrum because Roku and Spectrum are in a dispute and have been negotiating for some time but no resolution. 
   I’m upset with Roku for not allowing me to continue a service I had (I bought Roku because they had the Spectrum app!!!) and I’m upset with Spectrum for not telling me this would happen!!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@PegF2145 wrote:

I have Spectrum streaming and have 8 Rokus for my devices. I discontinued Spectrum streaming for 5-6 weeks while I was away from home.  When I returned I signed up for Spectrum streaming again (I have the Spectrum app on all my Rokus)   While trying to stream I could not get it to work. When I called Spectrum they told me that since I had discontinued Spectrum for any period of time, I couldn’t use Spectrum because Roku and Spectrum are in a dispute and have been negotiating for some time but no resolution. 
   I’m upset with Roku for not allowing me to continue a service I had (I bought Roku because they had the Spectrum app!!!) and I’m upset with Spectrum for not telling me this would happen!!

Your Roku-directed "upsetness" is utterly misplaced - they didnt develop or offer the Spectrum app or service - Spectrum did/does.   It's not Roku's "service continuity" rule preventing you from having access again, its Spectrum's. 

And Roku still has the Spectrum app (and its still receiving updates), with or without Spectrum service, though access to it/its content is limited by Spectrum's "agreement hiatus and renegotiation rules".

At worst, you can be upset at Roku for offering Spectrum the same terms it offers everyone else instead of a special deal that benefits Spectrum, and not being able to come to terms without disrupting service.

You should be directing most of your anger and frustration at Spectrum, but oddly you are directing Spectrum-deserved ire at Roku.

0 Kudos
b12345
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-16/at-t-forges-deal-to-get-hbo-max-on-roku-after-lon...

Here's what we know:

- Roku has complete control over their channel store. 

- Roku removed the channel from their channel system. From the Bloomberg story in December:  "This week, Roku blocked new downloads of Charter Communications Inc.’s Spectrum TV app from Roku’s online store."

- Roku has a history of removing channels to get more money or user information from content providers. "The fight over HBO Max was one of many that Roku has waged recently as its customer base grows and it tries to generate more revenue from selling ads inside streaming apps."

- The Spectrum app still works on many other devices (Apple, some Amazon, Android, Chromecast, xbox1, samsung) and you can watch in a web browser on most regular computers. 

- In some cases Spectrum will help you get the app back on your Roku if you had it before the dispute. 

Here's what we don't know: 

- How much money or customer viewing information Roku wants to get from Spectrum before they allow the app to go back on the channel store. 

- What Roku will allow Spectrum to do to help customers during the dispute. 

0 Kudos