Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maz
Reel Rookie

Re: Spectrum Channel Freezes

I CAN CONFIRM that disabling Netgear Armor solves the issue where spectrum live tv freezes after 5 seconds.

This also solves an issue where the Netflix app on LG tv would randomly buffer every few seconds, requiring me to exit the show and reload in order to continue watching.

I can now watch both the spectrum app on my Roku and also the Netflix App on my LG tv uninterrupted 

3 hours on the phone with Netgear and 2 hours with Spectrum and I find the answer on this forum...

Thank You 

0 Kudos
GDGRM42
Reel Rookie

The freezing problem is clearly the combination of Spectrum, Roku and Netgear. I have an Orbi with 1 satellite AND a D-Link Extender. When my Rokus are connected to the Orbi or its satellite, Spectrum freezes. When the Rokus are connected to the D-Link Extender, Spectrum does not freeze. I would like to disable Armor as you describe but I cannot apparently because my new user free subscription to Netgear Armor (Bitfinder) has expired. When I click on it either in the Orbi App or directly through the Orbi router it just takes me to the Bitfinder website so I can renew. I don't want to renew, I just want to disable.

0 Kudos
Maz
Reel Rookie

Open the Orbi App

Then select Security

Then Toggle the "enable NETGEAR Armor" to off

If it is not allowing you do do that you may have to call Netgear technical support and they will let you know how to disable it.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the router and just setting it up as a brand new router? This way Netgear Armor will automatically be off and it will just ask you if you would like to pay for a new subscription and activate it and you can just say no

The Netgear Armor is definitely the issue because it causes my Netflix app on my LG to also freeze if I activate the armor. I have tried turning on the armor again and it causes the same issue so now I will just keep it off at all times

0 Kudos
GDGRM42
Reel Rookie

I'm not given the option to enable or disable. Just taken to the website to renew. I have done a reboot of the router (unplug for 2 minutes then plug-in), is that what you mean by "hard reset"?

0 Kudos
PJB1
Reel Rookie

Are you using the Orbi app on your phone...or logging into the router via a PC browser?  I couldn't figure out how to do it via the app, but could via the browser.

0 Kudos
dslo
Reel Rookie

Any updates on this issue?  I'm experiencing the same problem and can't turn off the bitfender.  Just brings me to the site to subscribe.  I can use the app on Apple TV, but hate that remote and UI.  

Do I need to buy a new mesh system as a workaround?  Totally crazy!

0 Kudos
SteveE925
Channel Surfer

Did you try the phone app?  I did it my going to settings—> security —> then toggling it off. Didn’t have to reset the Orbi or the Rokus. 

0 Kudos
dslo
Reel Rookie

I tried to disable on the phone app but it brought me to the landing page to purchase Armour/Bitfender.  There is absolutely no way for me to disable it.  Even tried through the Orbi online settings, but there isn't a security option on there to disable Bitfender.

0 Kudos
jakinder
Channel Surfer

@dslo The way I did it with the mobile app was by hitting the Home button in the upper left, selecting settings, security, and then you get to the screen to disable or enable NETGEAR Armor. I am not aware of a way to do this via the web interface.

0 Kudos
dslo
Reel Rookie

Right.  When I try that, it automatically opens the browser on my phone, driving to the Armour/Bitfender subscription page.  Some people mentioned it earlier on this thread.  It's like we're locked into it.  No way to turn it off.  95% of my Roku viewing is through the Spectrum app.  Just totally sucks.  I ordered a new mesh system to test over the weekend.  Can't believe I had to do that.

0 Kudos