Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JACS
Channel Surfer

Re: Spectrum Channel Freezes

I spoke too soon.  The app is back to freezing.

0 Kudos
PJB1
Reel Rookie

I have confirmed that disabling the Armor security feature on my Orbi resolved the issue.  Thanks @jakinder !!!

0 Kudos
JACS
Channel Surfer

There are 2 post for the same issue here on the community.  I have been having this same issue with Roku TV's and the Spectrum app since 1/20/2020 and have done all the uninstall, reinstall, reset modem, reset router, had a technician out to the house and still no fix for this issue.  I do not have an Orbi system in my house so that rules this part of the issue here.  All other apps work fine, just the spectrum app is not.  Now I am finally seeing an error on my screen for the first time which is RLP-1999.  Also, this is happening on both wired and wireless TV's.

0 Kudos
PJB1
Reel Rookie

What type of a router do you have?  Netgear?

0 Kudos
JACS
Channel Surfer

I have a Bitdefender Box 2 and two Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points.

0 Kudos
jakinder
Channel Surfer

@JACS The BitDefender Box could be the culprit and still be related to the issue that is being seeing on the Netgear routers. I only say this because the Armor feature that is on the Netgear routers is powered by BitDefender so it could be related. Netgear calls the feature Armor powered by BitDefender. Unfortunately I don't know what under the hood is specifically causing the issue since it's purely and On or Off setting with no further configuration when On. You might be able to play around more with the security settings in your BitDefender Box to find the specific item that is causing the issue. Personally I think it could be related to some sort of antivirus or IPS signature update that the Spectrum App doe snot play well with but can't confirm that. 

I still so far put more blame on the Spectrum App than Armor (BitDefender) since it was working just fine for a month and then just started having issues last week. I think that an update they made to the Spectrum app is the real issue.

0 Kudos
JACS
Channel Surfer

@jakinderThanks for that input.  I was wondering if Bitdefender may be some of the problem even though the root cause falls on Spectrum;s side.  I ordered a new Unifi USG Gateway that will be here tomorrow and I will be removing the Bitdefender Box 2 and replace with the USG and see if the problem resolves.  I will update the forum once the new gateway is in.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
SteveE925
Channel Surfer

This seems to work. Not thrilled about disabling it, but it is Super Bowl Sunday. 

JACS
Channel Surfer

Okay after a lot of research and help from others on this forum I have fixed my issue.  It appears the issue is with the Spectrum app and Bitdefender, which is what the armor feature is powered by in Netgear routers.  I did not use a Netgear router but I did use the Bitdefender Box 2 as my router and it also has this built in but no way of turning off like you can in the Netgear routers.  I was looking to get a new router anyways in order to set my whole network on Ubiquiti devices so I bought a Unifi USG gateway and installed today and now my spectrum app works again.  If you call Spectrum they are not much help unless you tell them what you read in the forums and even then not much help.  I thank this forum for helping me to resolve my 2 week issue with Spectrum.  Hopefully they will resolve the issue they are having with Bitdefender devices because Bitdefender is an excellent solution for home network security.

jakinder
Channel Surfer

Glad to hear @JACS! I am not thrilled either that the fix is to disable a security feature that is either just built-in to some devices or a paid add-on. I was getting ready to pay for the yearly subscription since my trial was going to end but glad I held off. I am going to press Spectrum this week and potentially BitDefender for an answer on when this will be fixed.

0 Kudos