Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ameyer37
Reel Rookie

Re: New Spectrum Streaming App Crashes Roku

This didn’t work for me.  It is still freezing after about 5 seconds on any given channel.  I am very frustrated with this issue.  The app was working fine until friday morning.  It also works fine on my Samsung tv.  I have had the same issue talking with Spectrum too.  They say it is a Roku issue.  

0 Kudos
Dave81
Channel Surfer

We are experiencing the same issue with Spectrum and Roku stick.  We have performed all the described troubleshooting steps and still the Spectrum app freezes after 5 seconds.  Spectrum technician came out and witnessed this issue.  Since our internet signal is excellent and all the other apps on the Roku work except Spectrum, the technician agreed it was an issue with the New Spectrum app update and the Roku firmware.  There was nothing he could do to fix the issue and suggested that we get an Apple TV.  I understand that each streaming provider provides their own software for the Roku but I suggest that Roku work this issue with Spectrum if they don’t want to lose their customers to Apple TV or others.

0 Kudos
tamaradell
Channel Surfer

Since Spectrum gave me an AppleTv box I switched over and it works. Roku is in the trash. They were zero help.

0 Kudos
Blester
Reel Rookie

They gave you an apple tv? I had to purchase and it was a few 100$$?!?

0 Kudos
tamaradell
Channel Surfer

No they gave me the box like the Roku one, lol. I do need a new tv, wonder if someone will give me one?

0 Kudos
THETexJWP
Reel Rookie

Re: Spectrum Channel Freezes

Having the exact same issue in Texas, started same timeframe. Multiple Roku TVs and streaming sticks. Internet fine, Spectrum iPhone app fine, watching through Safari on Mac OSX fine. Incessant buffering/freezing on Spectrum app for Roku only. Spectrum tech support on 1/27 did admit that they’re having known issues with app but offer no resolution.

0 Kudos
MojoeMike

Try connecting your Roku device to a 2G wifi.  The spectrum app seems to have buffering or the issues with 5G.  It worked for me,  Hope it works for you too.

0 Kudos
SteveE925
Channel Surfer

Same issue. Has been running flawlessly on Mesh Wi-Fi until last week. Switching to 2.4 isn’t easy and not a solution. If Roku says it’s Spectrums issue than pull the channel. This is so frustrating. 

0 Kudos
THETexJWP
Reel Rookie

So, after some trial and error, a possible solution (working for me for the past several hours):

I had a just purchased this three unit system with 6,000 square foot coverage to use in a roughly 4000 square foot home.  So, to start I completely disconnected the Orbi base station and turned off both satellites, then did the standard cable modem refresh signal from Spectrum via telephone with hardware reset. For giggles, I then hooked up a new Spectrum router which they gave me earlier this month (Jan. 2020) when I swapped out my old cable modem for the new model (I previously had the *very* old "combo" modem/router from Time Warner which had stopped working completely). Fired up the Spectrum TV app on the closest Roku TV & guess what? No buffering/freezing from any device that could connect to it.  This made me go "hmmm".

Next, I disconnected the Spectrum router and re-connected *only* the Orbi RBR20 Base Station, then used the iPhone app to do an additional hardware reboot on it.  Not sure if that particular step was necessary or would have any effect, but whatever as I was desperate. Anyway, once the Orbi Base Station alone was back up, BOOM -- everything working great with max downloads on any device within the reach of its signal.  I then moved the cable modem and base station to one far corner of the house and set up only *one* of the satellites as far across the house from the base station as possible (yellow status on satellite LED light and on app).  DOUBLE BOOM -- 55" Roku TCL, all Roku HD Streaming Sticks, all phones/tablets, all laptops, and all gaming consoles able to see excellent signal and download/upload at very near my max service capacity. Spectrum app now working like a champ with no buffering and no freezing for the past several hours.  I did have to re-connect a number of devices like the Air Conditioner to the network each time though, FYI.

My only guess is that for some reason my devices were competing to connect between the two satellites, which was causing the bufffering/freezing problems.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive to the "smart" distribution capabilities of the system, but it's working for me so I'm not going to question.  Try it out & I'd be interested to hear if it works for anyone else as well.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
SteveE925
Channel Surfer

It’s worth a try. I’ll give it a shot. 

Still not sure I understand why it suddenly is giving problems with nothing on the Wi-Fi and internet side has changed. 

0 Kudos