Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quarrymrs
Level 8

Spectrum App

Okay so what’s the dispute?!  It seems Roku would sell more TVS if the stopped removing apps!  I’m returning this Roku tv away and will not buy another!  I’m sorry but it’s BS!

13 Replies
b12345
Level 9

Re: Spectrum App

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-16/at-t-forges-deal-to-get-hbo-max-on-roku-after-lon...

"The fight over HBO Max was one of many that Roku has waged recently as its customer base grows and it tries to generate more revenue from selling ads inside streaming apps. In September, Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal reached a deal to have its Peacock streaming service carried on Roku after a monthslong dispute over sharing ad sales. This week, Roku blocked new downloads of Charter Communications Inc.’s Spectrum TV app from Roku’s online store."

JGDA
Level 7

I believe the Spectrum app works on Chromecast with Google TV ($49) so I plan on picking that up this weekend and ditching Roku.   Such a shame Roku puts its customers in the middle of its corporate disputes.  

shelley23
Level 8

@Quarrymrs wrote:

Okay so what’s the dispute?!  It seems Roku would sell more TVS if the stopped removing apps!  I’m returning this Roku tv away and will not buy another!  I’m sorry but it’s BS!

Couldn't agree more!!!  Know they expect us to pressure Spectrum to accept their offer but if they want us to stay with Roku then they need to negotiate. Too many of us have Spectrum as our cable service and if we want to watch it on more then one device we need the app on roku or we will have to go to another streaming device.  

Rescue
Level 8

I have multiple Roku streaming sticks and mostly use them to watch Spectrum, occasionally Netflix or Amazon Prime. I guess I will not be able to add more devices if I cannot get the Spectrum app. anymore! It is an important feature of Roku for me.

DeVo35
Level 8

Whew! I was just about to purchase a 4th Roku stick for my house; however, their little spat with Spectrum has taught me the lesson of not keeping all my eggs in one basket.

I think I will purchase a Firestick now, just so I can have a backup in case of "corporate money wars" such as this situation.   Roku, I love your devices but the show must go on!  You lose my $$$ for now.

Plob
Level 7

I agree. We just purchased a 4th Roku for an extra tv with near plans to replace 3 other TVs. Roku was at the top of our list but just fell off completely because of this petty greediness and Roku's obvious lack of interest for their customers. 

0 Kudos
b12345
Level 9

I'm not sure that you can get the spectrum app on a fire stick. 

There is a list of supported devices at the bottom of this page:

https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv/spectrum-tv-app

0 Kudos
Rescue
Level 8

I wonder if you can use a different provider, like Cox, on Roku? I'm thinking drop Spectrum TV and subscribe to another cable service?

0 Kudos
Mike6266
Level 7

Here’s another angry Roku user - fix this Spectrum mess now, Roku,  I have 4 Roku’s so far - but no more until this is resolved.