Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Spectrum App acting up since update to 9.3.0

Since the update to 9.3.0 the Spectrum Chanel, when opened, starts of blurry, then after about 20seconds will clear up. Any one else having this problem? Tried reloading the Spectrum Chanel and rebooting the my Ultra device, no success. Any ideas will help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Spectrum App acting up since update to 9.3.0

Yep, same exact thing here, immediately after the 9.3.0 build 4170 update was installed about two weeks ago on my roku ultra now every time I start my spectrum app it always comes in blurry and grainy for about the first 20-30 seconds then pops in clear. If I change the channel quickly it seems to correct the issue a little sooner but this is very annoying to say the least. So much so that I swapped out my ultra on the main tv for my other roku (4k 3810) stick because that one was still on an earlier software and it did not have this issue. Well just today the same software update "9.3.0 build 4170" loaded into my 4k 3810RW stick as well and sure enough now it also does the exact same thing when opening and viewing the spectrum app! Blurry, grainy picture for at least the first 20-30 seconds! What is up with this? Don't they prove these updates with apps before putting them out? Why do we have to experience and further more trouble shoot a roku "beta" update? I have reset everything as well as uninstalled and reinstalled... this is not a tv or router or modem issue, it is a roku software issue that was not present before the 9.3.0 build 4170 update.

Is there a way to rollback this update and in turn keep it from automatically updating back onto the roku every 24-48 hours? If so please advise, thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bluvoodoo28 @ncblue47 

Thanks for the information.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Danny (Roku), thank you for your input but even after going through your mentioned process there is still no change with the issue of the blurry grainy picture and text within the spectrum app. Funny thing is that I also just checked to see if by any chance there was a new software update, and there was.

Now I have the newest update build which is 9.3.0 with build 4172. I was happy to see this new update so close to the last one thinking that it would fix the issue that came right along with build 4170 but even this newest update did not change anything as far as the spectrum app issues. So at the end of the day even after applying your suggestions and also downloading this new update "9.3.0- 4172" I still have blurry spectrum {as well as missing and scrambled menu channels within the spectrum app... which is another separate problem that recently showed up} when using my roku devices. As I said, I did not have this blurry, grainy issue on any of my roku devises prior to downloading software version 9.3.0 build 4170 on them so it has to do directly with that update and was not fixed with the latest 4172 build that just came out today. The app worked fine before these last two updates so this is very frustrating to say the least so I do appreciate your time and reply and please advise if you have any other info on this issue... or corrective action that may be on the way direct from roku. 

Again, is there a way to rollback and "freeze" the updates at least until this issue gets sorted out? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bluvoodoo28 

Thanks for the update.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Spectrum directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Spectrum channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My Streaming Stick+ received both 9.3.0 and build 4172. My ultra received 9.3.0 but still waiting for build 4172. Spectrum said they have no idea about the fuzziness when the App is first opened,they say its Roku problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This spectrum app blurry/grainy effect first affected my ultra 4k roku immediately after the 9.3.0 and build 4170 update, then two weeks later my 4k roku stick got the same 9.3.0 and build 4170 update and that's when that stick started doing the same exact thing. Then as I stated the 9.3.0 and build 4172 come out for the 4k roku but that did not correct or change anything as far as the issues goes with the spectrum app. Then just two days ago both of my "non" 4k roku sticks got a newer update and now they both have the exact same issue. So at this point all four of my roku devices are now doing the same thing but only after a roku update.

Normally I would agree with Danny that it would first appear to be a spectrum problem but under these circumstances to where as this issue only started happening after the roku software app update I'm sticking to my fact findings and stating once again that before the roku 9.3.0 and build 4170 update my spectrum app was working fine, now its not. That being said maybe spectrum could change something in their app to make it work seamless once again with this new update, but the ruko app update is actually where the wheel fell off so at the end of the day roku should confirm before putting out a update that it is fully compatible with all the apps they provide or at least notify any app provider that they will need to update their app to work correctly with a new roku app... which was not done here because after talking to both spectrum and roku it is obvious that they are not on the same page by blaming each other for the issue. Don't really care who is to blame, just want it corrected. Thank you to all for all comments and advice and I hope this gets sorted out soon!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My Roku Ultra is still waiting for build 4172 and the Spectrum channel still starts out fuzzy/blurry then smooths out. Contacted Spectrum and they replied "its not on our end" I'm not surprised.

0 Kudos