Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chester2010
Level 7

Spectrum App Not Working on my Roku devices

My Spectrum TV app is not working on all of my Roku devices.  Per Spectrum, Roku has not renewed the contract.  This is TOTAL BS.   I just recently purchased 2 Roku Expresses, we had a 36" Roku TV & we just purchased a brand new 55" Roku 4K TV.   I'm soooo livid over this.  I'm ready to box them all up and send them back for refunds.   Roku - Get your Sh*t together and renew the contract with Spectrum!!!!!

7 Replies
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Spectrum App Not Working on my Roku devices

Understandable frustration.

However, remember there are 2 parties involved in this carriage dispute, one of which has a long sordid history of carriage disputes and abysmal customer service, one of which has a short sordid history of carriage disputes and abysmal customer service.

Make sure you contact both about renewing the carriage contract.

(Effectively the dispute is over ad insertion/revenue - Roku wants a cut (standard deal it offers all services with ads), Spectrum doesnt want to pay it)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
vzetech97
Level 7

It appears that ROKU should have made customers aware that their device does not support Spectrum TV. I have four of these units which are totally useless to me for streaming Spectrum TV which is my provider. Something needs to be done to compensate so many purchasers of ROKU to use with Spectrum TV.

Strega
Level 15

At least on the one I bought; it says "channels can change" on the box. Pretty much any device or TV aggregation service (cable, satellite, etc.) has a clause like that because this has been going on for decades. ie: contract comes up for renewal, one or both sides want something different, they don't agree, there's a black out for a while, eventually (usually) they work something out and it reappears.

20 years ago, one of my neighbors had DirecTV and Dish Network at the same time in order to make himself immune to these things.  Back then, it was pretty expensive to do that, but these days, streaming devices are cheap, so if you want access to everything 100% of the time, it might make sense to have a couple of different types.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@vzetech97 wrote:

It appears that ROKU should have made customers aware that their device does not support Spectrum TV. I have four of these units which are totally useless to me for streaming Spectrum TV which is my provider. Something needs to be done to compensate so many purchasers of ROKU to use with Spectrum TV.

The Spectrum app on Roku devices is not required to use the Spectrum offerings, it's just one method. The Roku end user agreement (which of course no one ever reads) states that channels can be removed without warning. It's unfortunate, but there nothing compensatable about this issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
nocable
Level 11

People are mad because when they bought their Roku or Roku TV, it said on the packaging that Spectrum was one of the channels available. Well, it *was* available at the time the packaging was printed, so there's no bait and switch or false advertising there. But I do understand the frustration. It's a similar frustration when someone subscribes to Spectrum cable, because they want to watch _____ channel. And then later that channel is not there, for awhile, while a contract dispute with that channel is worked out. It's all in the fine print that none of us want to read.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
BrooksTony
Level 7

They get a cut, bc of spectrums app

0 Kudos
nocable
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

@vzetech97 wrote:

The Spectrum app on Roku devices is not required to use the Spectrum offerings, it's just one method. The Roku end user agreement (which of course no one ever reads) states that channels can be removed without warning. It's unfortunate, but there nothing compensatable about this issue. 

That's right. Heck, they could remove all channels but the one Steve made the other day. Roku themselves removed the Alex Jones Infowars channel because of "Terms of Service".... Maybe they'll be removing Focus On The Family channels next. I mostly use Roku as in interface with Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Apple TV, YouTube, and some Weather channels, none of which are exclusive to Roku.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos