Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianh1618
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound issues Directv app with Roku

The sound going to low levels is probably because you have the sound set to "Leveling".  Press *, switch "Leveling" back to normal, wait for the channel to reload, then go back to "Leveling".  For distorted sound, just switch channels then back again, like you mentioned.  Minor distraction but easily fixed. 

0 Kudos
Poppy2
Streaming Star

Absolutely nothing to do with leveling. I've had this device for a while. It's definitely related directly to the DirecTV Stream app.

Poppy2
Streaming Star

And also, I wouldn't call my sound going up very loud with huge distortion a minor inconvenience. Maybe you're okay with DirecTV's app destroying your audio, but I'm not.

willix
Binge Watcher

Look, thsi happened when Roku changed operating systems from 9.4 to 10.0.  Also about the time ATT-TV switched to Direct-TV Stream.  I am quite sure ATT did nothing to change their app in the switch.  It was a name and logo change only - no one's service change one iota.  Roku is the culprit here.  They are the only ones who changed their programming.  If their new 10.5 operating system does not contain the fix for this and they do not tell their user base that they screwed up and that is going to fix it, then they: 1) owe everyone an updated device that is having this problem, or 2)deserve a mass desertion with mass publicity of the problem causing it to everyone on TV, Facebook, Financial colums, blogs and everywhere to provide them with maximum hurt for causing and not fixing the issue, warning everyone not to buy Roku devices in the future because the company doesn't give a **bleep** about its users.

Poppy2
Streaming Star

I'm not so sure Roku is to blame. Not having problems with other Roku apps. This seems to be an issue relating to the DirecTV Stream app only. Even if Roku broke something in an OS update, DirecTV should be updating their app to be compatible. I put the blame on DirecTV (At&T). They've had over 2 months to fix this. They seem to not care about whether or not their service works. Was certainly that way under the AT&T branding, and I certainly don't expect changes under the new name, unless they've brought in all new personnel.

btaratoot

Same issue here. I'll be watching with no issues for a while. Then suddenly the audio is distorted or cuts out completely. I can "fix" it by changing to another channel and then changing right back. It only happens on the AT&T Now/AT&T TV/DirecTV Stream/whatever-they-call-it-next-week app.

Rob795
Reel Rookie

UPDATE - I recently signed up to HULU LIVE. I am running/testing HULU LIVE and DIRECTV on ROKU, and I am switching the same stations back and forth occasionally.  And there are no sound problems with HULU LIVE, but the sound problems continue with DIRECTV on ROKU...... With that said, I wish ROKU would force a solution with DIRECTV,  because I am getting nowhere trying to reach DIRECTV customer help.

willix
Binge Watcher

This is getting ridiculous.  I sick and tired of Roku blaming  Direct-TV Stream and Direct-TV taking no responsibility.  They are both to blame.  It is patently stupid to think that a simple stream that was working fine in the the Roku 9.4 operating system would suddenly not work when version 10 was installed.  It is also equally stupid to assume that a simple change in branding by AT&T from ATT-TV the Direct-TV Stream would cause them to alter there basic data stream to cause this.  It doesn't matter who is at fault.  They both will suffer as we continue to scream about this and it falls on their increasingly self destructive deaf ears.  The net result is we will publicize this to the world, AT&T will lose to other streaming platforms, and Roku will get a get a non-recoverable black eye as we switch to other platforms to host our streams from Google, Apple, and Amazon.  You two vendors put your dumb-ass heads together and fix this problem.  And try being honest with your customers for a change.  If it's the Roku hardware, do a fix immediately; if its the software, do a fix immediately; if its AT&T switchover, do a fix immediately.  Get the common thread here?  DUH!!!!

brianh1618
Reel Rookie

Tried the remove DTV, restart Roku, reinstall suggestion but after almost 2 weeks sound went low yesterday.  I have it set to sound leveling and fixed by switching off and on.

More concerning, I've had past problems with speech out of sync and recently no sound (for days) on channel ABC (which is why I consider the first issue a minor inconvenience).

I have an old Ultra (maybe 2017-2018) connected to an LG OLED65CX.  Internet tops out at 200 Mb/sec connected via ethernet but may be limited by ethernet port on Ultra.  Connecting HDMI cable is high speed to support HDR10 @ 60 Hz.  I also fiddled with subsampling to 4:2:2.

Perhaps my Ultra is too slow and limited by onboard memory?  I recently found the HBO Max app on my LG and it works much better than the app on the Ultra (faster and doesn't exit after long session of title browsing).  If DTV would come up with an app for my LG, I won't need my Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on this channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos