Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derobert
Level 7

Somehow got Netflix playback statistics in top left

Jump to solution
I fairly recently got a Roku 4 Premier+. On it, I was watching Netflix and somehow managed to get technical playback details (bit rate, format, etc.) overlaid on top of the video in the top left. It stayed there even after stopping and restarting playback, until I either exited the channel or rebooted the Roku (don't recall which). That was a week or so ago, and I've not been able to get it again...

I think I turned it on while hitting * to change options, but I've tried all kinds of random buttons but haven't been able to make it happen again.

Anyone know what the button combination is?
Roku Orig. (20F93E011586) → Onkyo TX-NR636 → Vizio SV470XVT (all HDMI)
Roku 2 XS (13A166000184) ───┘ │
Roku LT (16A18K002429) → HDMI Switch ─┘ (this one uses 802.11g)
FiOS Business ↔ Linux Router ↔ Rokus (wired ethernet)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Somehow got Netflix playback statistics in top left

Jump to solution
"JussJenny86" wrote:
From the netflix main screen go to settings. Then press reload Netflix. That will take it away. Idk how to put it there though.

They likely pressed the ASTERISK button on Roku remote while in the main browsing menu of Netflix. This will toggle ON or OFF the display of streaming information in the upper left corner of the screen while a video is playing. If you turn it on accidentally you must stop video and return to main browsing screen to press ASTERISK button and toggle it OFF. It can happen quite easily because when you do press the ASTERISK button in main browsing screen nothing appears on the screen to notify you that you have toggled it ON or OFF.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
lion7718
Level 8

Jump to solution
While your watching something in Netflix hit the * key, click it again to turn it off.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
Exiting the channel will reset the display. A reboot isn't necessary.
With some Versions of Roku players you can just hit the * button during playback and toggle the debug window. With others, the * button has to be pressed while on the main view before playback begins, and pressing the button during playback has no effect. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mikeytg
Level 7

Jump to solution
It seems to come and go with double-clicks of the * button for me, most of the time. I've had it where even exiting the channel would not get rid of it, only a reboot (before I discovered double click).
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Jump to solution
Only works for me if I hit the asterisk button while in the Netflix menu browsing then go and watch a movie. If I exit the movie and go back to the browsing screen and press asterisk again it will make it go away the next time I watch a movie.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

Jump to solution
I don't bother with the * menu no more as it turns on that supid side bar and I even had NF crash when it started to speak to me like I was visual impared.  I had to mess around pressing * to get rid of that annoying voice assistant.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
derobert
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thanks. Turns out on this unit, it's * on the main Netflix screen, or on the series details screen when resuming an episode (if it starts auto playing, it's too late, and that's pretty much instant for me).
Roku Orig. (20F93E011586) → Onkyo TX-NR636 → Vizio SV470XVT (all HDMI)
Roku 2 XS (13A166000184) ───┘ │
Roku LT (16A18K002429) → HDMI Switch ─┘ (this one uses 802.11g)
FiOS Business ↔ Linux Router ↔ Rokus (wired ethernet)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Thanks for the work around. Seems like it is a necessary evil or trade off for having such a simple remote control.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I have a Roku Express, and had the non stop dialog box in the top left of the screen when watching Netflix. Couldn't get rid of it until - 

1. While watching your show, exit out
2. Return to main netflix menu
3. Click the * button 3 times quickly
4. You should now hear "audio _________________ diasbled"
5. Go back into your show, and enjoy 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
"kellyofthevalley" wrote:
I have a Roku Express, and had the non stop dialog box in the top left of the screen when watching Netflix. Couldn't get rid of it until - 

1. While watching your show, exit out
2. Return to main netflix menu
3. Click the * button 3 times quickly
4. You should now hear "audio _________________ diasbled"
5. Go back into your show, and enjoy 

The three button presses is to turn on/off the Audio Guide in the Roku. That's why you heard a voice prompt. It has nothing to do with the Netflix channel debug menu. That is the shortcut to the Audio Guide. the other place to turn it on/off in under Settings/Accessibility. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos