Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
popntx
Level 7

Some channels in 720p instead of 1080p

I've noticed that some channels in YouTube TV are in 720p instead of 1080p.  I have a good internet connection and speed (25 mbps).  I can be watching one channel at 1080p, and switch to another and the speed is 720p.  I have 2 Roku streaming sticks attached to 2 different HD TV's and am getting identical results on each from channel to channel.  The Roku display type in settings is set to auto detect, and its detecting 1080i on both TV's.

I thought all content these days was 1080p, so I do not understand why some channels are only displaying 720p.  I have no data limits, so I'm wanting the highest quality video available on everything I watch.  I'm also wondering if this is a Roku issue, or maybe a YouTube TV issue?

Any advice would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Some channels in 720p instead of 1080p

YouTube TV is simply streaming the feed they are given. There are still some TV broadcasters that use 720p instead of 1080i. In particular stations with a lot of sports feel the progressive signal is better for fast action (think watching a baseball it, or a football tossed) than the interlaced image. And there's some truth to that.

For strictly online streaming sources, yes most are 1080p or better, but it's still likely that some have stuck with 720 simply to reduce the amount of bandwidth being used to stream. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
boogernose
Level 8

I have a dedicated net connection, very fast. I changed in my Roku settings to 720p exclusively.

I dont see any discernible difference, do you? The reason is I was having a problem with constant buffering and watching a **bleep** circle going around too much. Also Roku was crashing and freezing sometimes.

Since I changed to 720p the problems seem to be much less.

We all want the best. But what is best? I dont see any difference really.

xXWhackerXx
Level 8

that's cause regardless of claims otherwise no one can see the difference between 720p and up on screens below a certain size. peeps allow themselves to be conned into believing they can see the difference. it's also another reason roku needs to fix the bitrate feature so we the owner of the device can adjust the bitrate speed once again. 

andyross
Level 10

Even in streaming, some networks still use 720p. ABC/Disney/ESPN and Fox are the main ones that have always broadcast in 720p.