Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwabrahams
Level 7

Some channels freeze intermittently

I have a Roku 2710X streaming player.  On some channels (Roku, YouTube, others) the stream often just stops and then resumes after a few seconds,or tries to reload.  Sometimes it doesn't resume at all.  But on some others such as Netflix or Amazon Prime I haven't seen the problem.  My router is a Linksys E2500 N600, which might be related.  The signal strength, as shown in the Settings, is good. How can I cure this problem?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Some channels freeze intermittently

I don't mean this to sound flippant, but it's time to replace your Roku. The 2710 is the very old Roku 1, introduced in Sept 2013. It won't support the latest versions of some channels, is very lacking in power, and probably is sluggish to use. I have an even older 2 XS, and it's completely unusable. Yours is heading the same way. You should really just consider replacing it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Some channels freeze intermittently

"pwabrahams" wrote:
I have a Roku 2710X streaming player.  On some channels (Roku, YouTube, others) the stream often just stops and then resumes after a few seconds,or tries to reload.  Sometimes it doesn't resume at all.  But on some others such as Netflix or Amazon Prime I haven't seen the problem.  My router is a Linksys E2500 N600, which might be related.  The signal strength, as shown in the Settings, is good. How can I cure this problem?

I agree with Dan that it may be time to retire that device. When that device came out, you'd pay a heckuva lot more for a device with higher specs. But, today, the lowest priced Roku device will run circles around the Roku 1 model 2710.

Having said that, if there is a way to get more life out of your device, that would be a good thing. So, what can we do? There are a couple of options we have. We'll get to that in a minute.

First, I think you're correct that it's probably not a problem with your network. Your router, while not the top of the line, is still a good little device. It's been around for a while, but it's still part of the Linksys current catalog. There is one thing you might want to try that's network related, though. The Roku 1 is 2.4 GHz only, and you might want to see if the channel it's using (likely 6, 11, or 1) is crowded. Try moving to another channel, one of the ones listed.

Apart from that, pick one of the apps, remove it, then reboot the Roku. That will clear out any junk related to the app that might be a problem. Then, after the Roku reboots, add the app again. That may fix it.

The final thing, is a full factory reset. If you do that, be sure to hold down the rest button on the device for no less than 30 seconds. That's important.

If none of those do the trick, you may have reached end of usable life on the device. Which would be a shame.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos