Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I get the roku aquatic life screensaver on my roku 3?

It was Roku that has said the Aquatic Life screensaver was 4K only. However, I believe there is more than one aquarium screensaver available, so it's possible that some users are mixing the two.

I just looked on my 720p Insignia Roku TV, and at a quick glance I didn't see any sort of aquarium screensaver. However, there's over 1000 available (free and for purchase) and I didn't look through them all. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MartyPA
Level 9

I always used the Aquatic Live Screensaver on my oldest, cheap roku stick, but now I can't.  However I can still use it on 2 other old rokus that are not 4K, so the 4K has nothing to do with it.

I certainly won't replace the stick just because I can't use that screensaver, but as time goes on I'll be able to update/install less and less apps.  That's how companies get you to replace things that still work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MartyPA wrote:

I always used the Aquatic Live Screensaver on my oldest, cheap roku stick, but now I can't.  However I can still use it on 2 other old rokus that are not 4K, so the 4K has nothing to do with it.

I certainly won't replace the stick just because I can't use that screensaver, but as time goes on I'll be able to update/install less and less apps.  That's how companies get you to replace things that still work.

I believe you have a version they used to offer for 1080 devices. But if you didn't have it when it was pulled, you can't get it any longer. I have it on my 4K devices, but the 720p Roku TV I have doesn't show it available. Just be glad they didn't remove it from your device when they pulled that version. Since it wasn't something you paid for, they would have the right to remove it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Just to clear things up - there are now two versions Roku's "Aquatic Life" screen saver (not to be confused with any of the several other "Aquarium XXXX" screensavers):

3.0.8 (3.0.80000003)  - available for all (more recent) devices, listed as channel/screensaver, removable

13.0.9 (13.0.90000006) - available on Ultra only (after installing 3.0.8), listed as screensaver, not independently removable

(Ultras will in fact have two (2) "Aquatic Life" screensavers listed, assuming they install the channel version, upon which both versions appear)

The important thing is to search for "Aquatic Life" and then download/install from a 4K device (and keep it installed), after which it becomes available for other devices.

NOTE: The non-4K device has to be a more recent device powerful enough to run the screensaver (e.g. a 2710 from 2013/2014 is too old and slow - you can find it in a search, but its not installable).  Also, availability outside the US is unknown...

In short, the "Aquatic Life" screensaver can be installed on ANY (recent) model, but in order to have access to it on non-4K models (via Roku's built-in "channel mirroring" functionality), the channel version (3.0.8) must be installed first on a 4K device.

StreamerUser

I am not a Roku employee.
ebgwd
Level 9

Yes, I can verify that based on my equipment what you say is completely true.  I have new Roku Ultra and old Roku Sharp TV.  It actually shows up twice on the Roku Ultra as though it has been installed twice.  It will show up on the older Sharp Roku TV but shows error "Could not add Aquatic Life" when you try and install on the old Roku Sharp TV. Bummer.

0 Kudos
atc98092

If your Roku device isn't 4K, you don't get that screensaver. There was an older version available for 1080 devices, and if you had it I believe Roku did not remove it. But you can't install the current version on a 1080p device. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Greginfla1
Level 7

aquatic life

Absolutely love the Roku aquatic life screensaver. Can we add different aquariums to rotate? 

0 Kudos
Siciliano57
Level 8

Re: How do I get the Aquatic Life Screensaver on my new Roku Express HD?

From reading replies, I understand that the Aquatic Life screensaver is only available on devices with 4K.

My question is why only 4K devices?  This is a great screensaver that should be available on all devices.  I have over $200 currently invested in Roku devices.  6 are Roku Express (3- 3700X model, 2-3900X model and 1- 3910RW).  The Aquatic Life screensaver is only playable on the 3900X and 3910RW.  This screensaver should also be playable the 3700X model.  

I have already upgraded all my Roku Express devices from Roku 2’s, 3’s and Roku stick.

I feel like Roku is doing this to make money by have its consumers having to upgrade to add content.

Please consider offering various editions of the Aquatic Screensaver so that it is playable on all devices, at least All Roku Express models

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Re: How do I get the Aquatic Life Screensaver on my new Roku Express HD?

@Siciliano57 wrote:

From reading replies, I understand that the Aquatic Life screensaver is only available on devices with 4K.

My question is why only 4K devices?  This is a great screensaver that should be available on all devices.  I have over $200 currently invested in Roku devices.  6 are Roku Express (3- 3700X model, 2-3900X model and 1- 3910RW).  The Aquatic Life screensaver is only playable on the 3900X and 3910RW.  This screensaver should also be playable the 3700X model.  

I have already upgraded all my Roku Express devices from Roku 2’s, 3’s and Roku stick.

I feel like Roku is doing this to make money by have its consumers having to upgrade to add content.

Please consider offering various editions of the Aquatic Screensaver so that it is playable on all devices, at least All Roku Express models

If you read my previous post you'll understand the Aquatic Life screensaver is available for newer non-4K devices, IF you install it on a 4K device first (then it automatically gets installed to the non-4K devices via Roku's app replication feature).

However, the 3900 and 3910 are not 4K models - they are 1080p models - so that demonstrates that the screensaver is in fact available for non-4K models now/again (since you didnt mention having a 4K model, and an app search shows it on the 3910 and 3800 now)

I personally wouldnt upgrade simply to have access to a screensaver - regardless there are some app vendors that limit their app to newer models (e.g. Express 3900 and above - Peacock, or 4K models - AirPlay2), which Roku has no control over, so there are other important reasons to upgrade aside from access to Roku's screensaver.

StreamerUser

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos