Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeakmc
Level 7

Slow streaming

I have Directv Now (ATT) and a Roku stick (Roku Streaming Stick (3600R) - HD Streaming Player with Quad-Core Processor)   There are times when get message taking long or cannot connect with due to troubles with my connection, but at the same time have no problems watching it on my iPad with the same wifi network  Any help as to why this is happening since they are both connect with the same wifi at the same time

Thanks
0 Kudos
14 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Slow streaming

How far from your network is your Roku? Maybe the network signal isn't as strong there as where your iPad is streaming from. Could also be, but unlikely that your Roku is set to stream a higher resolution than your iPad, and the bandwidth isn't available.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jeakmc
Level 7

The modem is on a shelf below the TV with the Roku plugged into the back of the TV.   The iPad is about 12 feet in front of the modem
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

The Directv Now app performs very poorly on my Roku Ultra 4640.  It takes much longer to load than any other Roku app I've ever used.  Changing to another channel takes much longer than it should, and I frequently get the message about my internet connection underperforming.  However, it's clearly the Directv Now app that's underperforming as no other major app has any problems playing video.  Also, sometimes a Roku OS system message will pop up saying I'm not connected to the internet.  But I am connected to the internet, and simply closing and reopening the app will make the error message go away.

I recently had a trial of Hulu w/ Live TV and it performed much better than Directv Now.  Channels loaded much faster and there weren't any of the constant connection problem messages.  I also had a trial of Playstation Vue and that also performed much better.  I only have Directv Now because I prepaid for 3 months to get a free Apple TV which I sold, and I've canceled my subscription so it won't renew.  If I had used the Apple TV, I may have had a better Directv Now experience, because I've seen subscribers say it works much better on an Apple TV than a Roku.
0 Kudos
jeakmc
Level 7

I just started with Directv Now ... upgraded my ATT to their unlimited and get a $5 discount because billing on-line and get a $15 reduction because of my unlimited plan and to add HBO was only $5 more, so after tjhe 3 month trial I will only pay $25 ... which is much cheaper than HULU ... so hopefully something might work.  I've just moved my modem directly under the Roku on my TV and will see if that makes a difference.  It occurs only a certain times ... have nothing to compare the speed of starting up, but does take a while
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

For me, once a channel loads in Directv Now, it generally continues to stream without any interruption, and the video quality seems quite good.  Although, recently there may have been more rebuffering instances than in the past.

Hopefully, ATT will work to fine tune the Directv Now Roku app to improve loading times and eliminate any channel loading failures.  Often when I try to load a channel there will be a blank screen, but switching to the next channel and back will get it to load.
0 Kudos
jeakmc
Level 7

I've noticed similar behavior.  This is a relative new streaming service and hopefully they will work out any bugs

Does Roku automatically upgrade any updates
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

"jeakmc" wrote:
I've noticed similar behavior.  This is a relative new streaming service and hopefully they will work out any bugs

Does Roku automatically upgrade any updates

Yes, the Roku automatically checks for system and channel updates once per day.  You can also manually check for updates by going to: Settings > System > System update and select Check now.  I just got a Hulu update when I did this.

For some reason when I opened the Directv Now app just now it seems like it is loading faster and maybe loading channels faster.  However, it looks like it was last updated on July 11.  Will have to see if it keeps performing the same way.
0 Kudos
jeakmc
Level 7

Thanks

I also moved my router from a shelf below to on the top shelf just under where the Roku stick is plugged in .... seems to be faster to load and so far no streaming problems ... but those problems were intermittent so keeping my fingers crossed
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

There is also a "too close". Proximity isn't everything. Also being enclosed in a shelf is not great.
0 Kudos