Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer not found on iPhone

Hi super CT,
I rarely, if never, use my laptop (Windows 10) to watch tv with Slingmedia.  I have a M1 and Roku Express model 3700, and it works almost flawlessly with my iPad, having very little buffering. What model of Slingbox do you have?
I use my Slingbox/Slingmedia about 4 months a year when we spend the winter in Florida, away from the cold Canada up north, listening to our favorite french programs all winter long.
I enquired at Bestbuy if there was an alternative to Slingbox for free streaming, and it seems that there is none, so they say. There’s Tivo, but you must pay a monthly fee.
Too bad Slingmedia as stopped producing their streaming boxes...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jula72
Level 7

This is what I've found; if my Roku stick is connected to the 5GHZ wireless band, my SlingPlayer for iPhone doesn't give me the choice to cast to Roku, but if I change the network settings on my Roku stick to use the 2,4GHZ band, the iPhone app (which is connected to the 5GHZ band) will find the Roku and I am able to cast without issues. This is not ideal as the 5GHz band is supposed to be the "Fast" wireless band, but you can use the 2,4GHZ band as a workaround until Roku or Slingbox release some sort of solution. This is my current setup:

Slingbox M1 -> Ethernet connection (wired)
iPhone 6 -> WiFi 5 GHz band
Roku stick 2016 Edition -> WiFi 2,4 GHz band

Hope this help...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

Hi Jula72,

What OS version do you have on your Roku Stick?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

I just found out about the Monsoon Volkano Flow and other models.
These are similar to Slingbox, but they are also veering away from selling retail products:
Copied from their support page:
Important Notice: As of now Vulkano PC Software Supports Windows 7, Windows XP SP2 (both Home and Pro) and Windows Vista and 7 Operating Systems, Mac OS, and Vulkano Mobile Software supports Listed Mobile Phones only.We have not tested it on new platforms, hence do not support it on iOS8 and onwards. We are moving towards business solutions rather than selling retail products. We are working on a new technology. At present there is no intent of developing new players or modifying existing players to support other platforms or adding more features other than the ones already supported.

Another one leaving the boat...............
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jula72
Level 7

Whatever the latest version is, I got the Roku Stick less than a month ago and it ran an update on first boot, no questions asked, it just decided to install.

Jula72
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JCSAC81
Level 7

I have the 2017 roku stick.  I noticed a recent software update was pushed forward.  Still cannot cast my slingplayer from my iphone or ipad.  Anyone have any luck with this yet?  Roku is still as unhelpful as ever.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
andremont03
Level 7

Any luck? I have the same problem with Android. The cast button simple doesn't appear. It's working fine with Chromecast, but not with Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

iOS devices do not support "casting" to a Roku player. They will only cast to other iOS devices, such as the Apple TV. With Android, I never had an issue, but you do have to load an app called Smart View. There are claimed apps for iOS that will work, but I've never been successful with them.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
robnelsons
Level 7

When you have the slingplayer app you can cast from Apple iPhones and iPads to several Roku devices. Some of the updates in the last 6 months to Roku software have broken that functionality for the newer streaming sticks. Roku: any ETA on a fix so that it works again the way it does to cast to a Roku 3?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

Back in Canada, I bought a Roku Ultra (Bestbuy has model 4640 in Canada, as opposed to 4660 in the US which does not work with Sling Player).
I installed it and after the usual automatic OS upgrade (8.0.1 edition 4090-29, which left me sceptic), it worked!!!  My iPad connected to the Ultra as it did with my older Roku Express (model 3700).
Is it that the older Ultra 4640 does not upgrade to the same OS version of the newer model 4660, or that Roku or Slingbox has corrected the issue, but I'm very happy with this situation.
Case closed for me!!!
0 Kudos