Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Willo
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer not found on iPhone

I am having the same issue. I can’t see my Roku in the SlingPlayer app on my iPhone or iPad either. I also can’t see my Roku in the Plex app.

I emailed Roku support a week ago and no response. I sent a follow up to the automated case email after 3 days and still no response.

I just purchased my Roku and I’m not impressed with their customer support. Next step is to call them I guess. Frustrating.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
kdubinwa
Level 7

Having same problem with new Roku stick.  This blows.  I submitted email to support using suggestions above and will report back what I learn.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

I just bought a new Roku Ultra model 4660.
It will not cast on the Slingplayer channel,  My older Roku Express model 3700 works very well.  I wanted the Ultra because of the very practical remote with the earphone jack.
Here is the answr from a Roku tech:
[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]

Thanks for contacting Roku Technical Support. Thank you for choosing our product.

Regarding your writing, you will not cast from Slingplayer app on your iPad and Android phone.

We believe this support article may help answer your question. Please follow the link below and follow the provided information.
https://support.roku.com and https://blog.roku.com for more information about our product and channel offerings.
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
So, I'm returning the Ultra and keep my older Express model 3700 that works well with Slingplayer.
Case closed for me!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Willo
Level 7

I heard back from support and apparently the SlingPlayer app isn't supported on the Roku Ultra 4660 yet. That's all they said.

Regarding Plex...I figured out that the Roku Plex app needs to be open for it to be seen by other devices running the Plex app.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Willo
Level 7

I sent a follow up to support and was told to contact Sling about adding support for my Roku. It doesn't seem like Sling is supporting any of the newer Roku devices so I wonder if they even care. When I was at my local Best Buy I also noticed they aren't carrying any Slingbox devices.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

"Willo" wrote:
I sent a follow up to support and was told to contact Sling about adding support for my Roku. It doesn't seem like Sling is supporting any of the newer Roku devices so I wonder if they even care. When I was at my local Best Buy I also noticed they aren't carrying any Slingbox devices.

No wonder, because Sling Media has stopped manufacturing Slingboxes as of last January.  See the following article:
http://www.multichannel.com/news/conten ... ort/410057
So, I don't expect Sling Media to invest in the upgrade of their Slingplayer apps.  Too bad!! :cry:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
kdubinwa
Level 7

Loved the support update I received via email today:

1) I was told "the SlingPlayer app should work with the Roku. Make sure the Roku is on your same local network with the SlingPlayer."

2) They also updated my request status to "Resolved"

How's that for great customer service?  Sorry, but this was the most idiotic response I have received from Roku or Sling Media.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
superCT
Level 9

While it's not ideal, I have resorted to plugging in my iPad via an HDMI cable. Really annoying and it was just fluke that I even packed my HDMI / lightning connector for my iPad, but it's better than not having my Slingbox on the TV at all. I also can't find a way to prevent my Roku from updating, if it hadn't updated on Jan 15th I'd be fine. If they ever bring the option back to connect to my Slingbox, I'd like to be able to not update my Roku again after that but seems like there's isn't a way to turn off automatic updates. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AJRoy
Level 7

"superCT" wrote:
While it's not ideal, I have resorted to plugging in my iPad via an HDMI cable. Really annoying and it was just fluke that I even packed my HDMI / lightning connector for my iPad, but it's better than not having my Slingbox on the TV at all. I also can't find a way to prevent my Roku from updating, if it hadn't updated on Jan 15th I'd be fine. If they ever bring the option back to connect to my Slingbox, I'd like to be able to not update my Roku again after that but seems like there's isn't a way to turn off automatic updates. 

Hi superCT,
My friend doesn't have a Roku and plug its iPad directly on the TV with that HDMI cable. However, the virtual remote on the Sling player will not work, unless he unplugs the HDMI cable.
So, whenever he wants to switch channel or any other function, he unplugs the iPad, makes the change and replugs it.
Do you have the same problem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
superCT
Level 9

Hi AJRoy, 

Are you saying that while it's plugged in he can't operate the remote in the program? I don't have that problem. Everything works exactly the same way but the TV is mirroring what my iPad or laptop is doing. I have no issues there. I found if I fall asleep with the Sling playing on my iPad the timer to "stop playing" doesn't turn it off. It's weird, the timer will lock the screen as if my iPad is turned off, but you'll still hear the audio playing. I've woken up a few times to this so I started using my laptop instead, plugging that in via HDMI. 

Problem is when using my laptop I have found that the Slingplayer for Web app is constantly crashing which doesn't happen with the paid iPad app. Considering I paid for that app I wish I could add it to my laptop instead of the free app that a) plays commercials (unacceptable if you ask me) and b) keeps crashing. 

But regardless of whether it's plugged in to the HDMI cable or not after an hour or so the Slingplayer for Web starts pausing with every other frame making it impossible to watch and there's no way to stop it except to close the whole app and then reopen it. It will do it again, and I find the more I watch the quicker it does it. So after freezing say after about an hour, I restart the app then it does it after 20 minutes, I restart the app, then it does it after 10 minutes and so on until it's unwatchable and I have no option but to end up watching on my iPad again. Since I'm still under warranty with Sling I will call them again (previously they told me there were no known issues and to uninstall and re-install the app which I did, it made no difference). 
0 Kudos