Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Yourownhero
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer not found on iPhone

Roku support closed my case yesterday with this response.....

Your request #(1198702) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Roku.

Sorry to inform you that new Roku device does not support casting for this channel. 

Refer :http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-2000582.

Regards,
Sivadarshan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Yourownhero
Level 7

Without a doubt it is the latest build that caused this issue.  Not sure how to downgrade (if possible) to prove it.

When I first setup my streaming stick+ it worked perfectly for a day or so, casting slingplayer app from android and iphone without issue.  Then the Roku stick updated to the latest build, 8.0.1 4018-50, and ever since it has stopped working.  Purchased another and the issue happened right away because it had updated to the latest build.

Streaming still works on Premiere+.  I will be returning the two other streaming stick+.  Hoping the Premiere+ doesnt get updated to that build in the future.  Also hoping that slingplayer casting feature remains, as it is the main reason I bought a roku device.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Yourownhero
Level 7

The link that the Roku case provided lists the following as the only supported devices on slingplayers page.  It appears Roku is using this as a scapegoat.  Considering there hasnt been an update to the slingplayer app in a long time, and it worked on an older build on the streaming stick+ as well as working on my premiere+.

These current Roku models are supported:

• 4400 Roku 4

• 4200X/4200EU Roku 3

• 2700X/2700EU Roku LT

• 2710X/2710EU Roku 1

• 2720X/2720EU Roku 2

• 3000X Roku 2 HD

• 3050X Roku 2 XD

• 3100X/3100EU Roku 2 XS

• 3400 Roku Streaming Stick

• 3420 Roku Streaming Stick

• 3500 Roku Streaming Stick

• Roku Streaming Stick 2016 Edition

• 2400X/2400EU Roku LT

• 2450X Roku LT

• 2500X Roku HD

• Roku Streaming Stick

• Roku TV
Roku streaming players that aren't listed here are not supported. Check your Roku documentation for more information about which device you own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
laxpuck
Level 7

Yeah, it certainly does seem like we're being given a run around. For starters, my Streaming Stick (NOT +) also has this problem. It's listed as supported, as you posted. And as we're all aware, the SlingPlayer for Android app has not been updated for quite some time. The problem persists with both the free and paid versions of the Slingplayer app as well. My most recent email from Roku, after asking for all my technical details and me suggesting that the new firmware may be the issue, said the following:

"Roku
Hi [me],

Your request #(1187563) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

[service agent's name], Dec 14, 01:02 PST:
Hello [me],

Thank you for providing us the information that we asked.
Please check with the Sling player channel for any updates and we too will check this from our end. "

So not particularly heartening at the moment. I'm curious if anyone has tried contacting SlingPlayer about this? I can't find support for the app, only for the box itself, and that for a $30 fee because my Slingbox is more than 3 years old. I agree that it seems to be an issue of new Roku firmware, but I'm willing to pursue other avenues... Using Slingplayer is really the only reason I bought a Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
cjr181
Level 7

Just checking on the status of this issue.  I purchased a roku (Ultra, 2017) primarily for the slingplayer / slingbox streaming.  Roku appears as an option for casting on my iPhone when utilizing my friend's older Roku 3, but does not with my brand new 2017 ultra.  Very frustrating.  Will this be fixed in the next firmware release?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
superCT
Level 9

Yup, I have this problem too. I have an older Roku and never had any problem streaming the Slingbox to it. I'm now using a new Roku streaming stick that I guess updated itself in January, unbeknownst to me. My iPad Slingplayer app doesn't connect, and doesn't register the option to watch on the Roku. Slingbox said about a month ago Roku did an update and now it no longer works. They said Roku will blame them and say it's their problem but it's not something they can fix because they didn't do the update. Although it's true that Slingbox is super slow to do updates to the apps. They told me to reach out to Roku and let them know because the more people that do the more likely they'll fix it. I get it, each one can blame the other, but it only happened after the Roku update (allegedly). But I see that Roku could say it's up to Slingplayer to keep up and do their own update. Either way it's a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE BUTT! I'm thousands of miles away from home with no English language channels to watch. I have my Roku on a nice big TV and my slingbox working on my iPad. I just want to watch on a big screen. This beyond annoying. 

I tried contacting Roku to make them aware, but I don't see any option on the website to contact them since it I have to go select the Roku I'm using and then it tells me there's no support. I know there's no support, I just want to email them to make them aware yet another user is annoyed by this. If anyone knows how to contact them please post it here so we can all get on at both Slingbox and Roku to fix this mess!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
capitals26
Level 7

"superCT" wrote:
Yup, I have this problem too. I have an older Roku and never had any problem streaming the Slingbox to it. I'm now using a new Roku streaming stick that I guess updated itself in January, unbeknownst to me. My iPad Slingplayer app doesn't connect, and doesn't register the option to watch on the Roku. Slingbox said about a month ago Roku did an update and now it no longer works. They said Roku will blame them and say it's their problem but it's not something they can fix because they didn't do the update. Although it's true that Slingbox is super slow to do updates to the apps. They told me to reach out to Roku and let them know because the more people that do the more likely they'll fix it. I get it, each one can blame the other, but it only happened after the Roku update (allegedly). But I see that Roku could say it's up to Slingplayer to keep up and do their own update. Either way it's a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE BUTT! I'm thousands of miles away from home with no English language channels to watch. I have my Roku on a nice big TV and my slingbox working on my iPad. I just want to watch on a big screen. This beyond annoying. 

I tried contacting Roku to make them aware, but I don't see any option on the website to contact them since it I have to go select the Roku I'm using and then it tells me there's no support. I know there's no support, I just want to email them to make them aware yet another user is annoyed by this. If anyone knows how to contact them please post it here so we can all get on at both Slingbox and Roku to fix this mess!

I was able to e-mail Roku through: https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-details
0 Kudos
Highlighted
superCT
Level 9

Unfortunately that link doesn't help me. It asks me to select my model Roku then select the issue and then gives me a message that I'm out of warranty and won't give me any contact details. So I just went through it and selected a different model and then it gave me the option to fill in my details and "provide a question". Hopefully I'm able to get through to them, but I feel like since my model is out of warranty my email is just going to go into the ether and I'll never hear anything back. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
laxpuck
Level 7

I have the same problem with Sling. Because my slingbox is out of warranty, I would have to pay to get customer service about SlingPlayer.

SuperCT thanks for sharing what Sling said!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
capitals26
Level 7

I used the following and wasn't stopped or asked for any serial or other info after it:

How can we help?
Questions about setup or using my Roku

Product
Roku Streaming Stick+

Need help with...
Solving setup problems
0 Kudos