Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bobgnh
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

I have bought several Roku's over time just for use with Slingbox and feel that Roku has taken an extremely poor action to change their firmware to create an incompatibility with Slingbox.  Why shoot a viable customer stream from buying and using a Roku device.  It sounds like the business will go to Amazon instead of Roku as a result of this pretty dumb move by Roku.  Personally, I'm pretty disappointed with Roku after having several years where I gave them high grades; I'm sure I'm not alone in that disappointment.

Highlighted
Mannlaker
Level 8

Jump to solution

Can someone clarify for a non tech person . I have been streaming my paid for signal with a slingbox to my devices for years . Then throw the signal to my non home devices with Roku . Tonight it says channel no longer available . But I cam stream channels directly with Roku . Have never uses slingbox  TV channel . Is the problem with the channel or with the hardware And apps I have .. ps I can still see my feed on my devices just can’t get them on the big screen .??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DaMasK
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Mannlaker wrote:

Can someone clarify for a non tech person . I have been streaming my paid for signal with a slingbox to my devices for years . Then throw the signal to my non home devices with Roku . Tonight it says channel no longer available . But I cam stream channels directly with Roku . Have never uses slingbox  TV channel . Is the problem with the channel or with the hardware And apps I have .. ps I can still see my feed on my devices just can’t get them on the big screen .??

Let me try to explain. Here's how your home TV signal gets to your remote TV:

1. cable box -> [wires] -> Slingbox
2. Slingbox -> [via Internet] -> your device, such as iPad
3. iPad -> [Wifi] -> Roku [Slingplayer app/channel]
4. Roku -> [wires] -> your big screen

It is Step 3 that is now broken. The Slingplayer app/channel is a piece of software that runs in the Roku, similar to how an iPad app runs on the iPad.  Roku says "channel no longer available", which refers to the Slingplayer app/channel on Roku.

Apparently Roku has changed its operating system (think iOS on iPad) in a way that breaks the Slingplayer app/channel. In an earlier post I described a couple of scenarios that might explain what happened. We don't know whether Roku made a change that did not maintain backward compatibility and that "broke" the Slingplayer app/channel; or, whether Roku warned the various channel providers that Roku planned to make the change, and the Slingplayer app/channel software developers did not make the necessary changes for it to continue to work.

You might not realize your were using the Slingbox channel on Roku. I discovered only recently that if I choose (well, chose) to send the picture from my iPad Slingplayer app to my Roku, and if the Roku is on its home screen, the Roku will automagically start up the Slingplayer Roku channel and start to display the picture from your iPad. It's possible you added the Slingplayer channel to your Roku long ago and forgot.

Highlighted
Harleysville
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported - but still works on old Netgear streaming player

Jump to solution

fyi - the app on my old Netgear box still works - the old Netgear Slingbox app works differently than the Roku app - it directly slings from the internet and displays on the TV - it does NOT sling from your cell phone or other connected device - this old app is now unsupported but it still works, so if you can find one this should work for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SlingSucks
Level 8

Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

Wow.  So I still don't understand who I'm mad at, but somebody is a a__ole.

I have several slingboxes - the original, two M1s and one Solo.  They all still work.  

I suffered for over a year with the fact that the slingplayer app on a an android couldn't stream to a GOOGLE CHROMECAST Google Android.   Google Chromecast.  Was I wrong to expect THAT to work?  Always worked from a iPhone...  so I bought a Roku to see if it worked.  It did.  Hallelujah.

After a horrifically long wait, those nitwits at Sling (nearly all of whom are now unemployed since Sling reinvented itself) finally fixed casting to Chromecast.  But I still had the Roku, which worked fine until this nonsense.

Fortunately I still have my gen 2 chromecast.  So for now I can use the slingplayer app with my TV.

I only recently discovered that Sling no longer makes hardware, perhaps because component video RGB outputs are disappearing from cable boxes.  The HDMI connection on a Slingbox 500 won't placeshift much stuff since it's all flagged with protection.

Bo.  Gus.  

I have five cable boxes.  $10/mo each.  All I wanted to do was to replace one of them with Slingplayer... one of these I only watch once a month or so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mitchjs
Level 8

Jump to solution

i ran to walmart to get chromcast... it worked, but after a few mins it started looking wierd

1/2 the picture would be messed up, then it aborted

it did this over and over... and i got HQ WIFI in my house.... with 802.11ac i get > 80mb down

m

0 Kudos
Highlighted
roakhoo4u2
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm still using one of my four Roku's since I have several channels from my regular cable service. Like many here, we are trying to avoid additional cable or "extra-box" charges. The Chromecast works but one of mine suffers from dropped signals although a different one in an adjacent room (closer to the router) has no problems. What I like about the Amazon Fire stick is you don't cast to it - the Stick connects wireless directly to the Slingbox like your phone or tablet does.  FYI - The Fire Stick is not sold at Walmart since they are head-to-head competing with Amazon but you can get one at Target stores. I'm going to get two more Fire Sticks for my other home.

Highlighted
roakhoo4u2
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just found we have an extra Roku Express, the one with RCA plugs, and it has not been plugged in for about half a year. Wonder if it would work f used only on the local network and not allowed to update via the internet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
blasterdaddy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have been a Slingbox user since its inception.  3 Solos, a 350 and a Catcher.  It was sort of a shock when I found the channel not supported message on Roku, (to be honest I was wondering how much longer Roku would support this, as Sling sure does not support their Slingboxes)

I also have an AirTV, and Sling still does support them and sell them, (from what I understand, they are repurposed Slingboxes and look very similar to the M2.

Well sling sent this out earlier this month, it does not mention the Slingbox, only the AirTV (more on this later)

Starting on 9/24/2019, a firmware update rolled out to many Roku devices that ended support for the AirTV App on these devices. If you currently use an AirTV app on one of these Roku devices to view local channels from your AirTV device, youll need to make some changes in order to continue watching, and improve your experience with new DVR capabilities. Going forward, youll use the Sling TV App for Roku for free! If you dont have a Sling account, you can create one for free at sling.com/airtv.

Now being I still use the older Slingboxes, like the solos, I still use the Windows Slingbox App 2.0, which gives you a list of boxes connected to your network.  Well guess what shows up there, my AirTV.  I also read someplace on a tech site when the AirTV First came out that it was essentially a repurposed slingbox.

One work around I use at least on my older Slingboxes. is my Sling Catcher, The catcher runs Linux and has a Sling Overlay, which basically allows you to stream from a remote location to the box, and it has appropriate outputs to connect to your TV.   So the convenience to me of having a Sling Channel to turn to on Roku, is gone, but my Sling Catcher just became very important to my viewing.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SlingSucks
Level 8

Jump to solution

@roakhoo4u2 wrote:

I'm still using one of my four Roku's since I have several channels from my regular cable service. Like many here, we are trying to avoid additional cable or "extra-box" charges. The Chromecast works but one of mine suffers from dropped signals although a different one in an adjacent room (closer to the router) has no problems. What I like about the Amazon Fire stick is you don't cast to it - the Stick connects wireless directly to the Slingbox like your phone or tablet does.  FYI - The Fire Stick is not sold at Walmart since they are head-to-head competing with Amazon but you can get one at Target stores. I'm going to get two more Fire Sticks for my other home.

Thanks for that info.  I had not realized that firestick would work without a phone/tablet/laptop in the mix.  I'll add my Roku to my 'already obsolete and useless' pile and pick up a fire stick.

0 Kudos