Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

Sounds good man.  I'll fire up my CAD program designed to run on Win95 and draw you up what I'm talking about.

Roku notified developers of changes, they ignored those changes.  That's a developer problem.

Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@twiceover wrote:

Sounds good man.  I'll fire up my CAD program designed to run on Win95 and draw you up what I'm talking about.

Roku notified developers of changes, they ignored those changes.  That's a developer problem.

So you were in the loop regarding Roku's changes that made SlingPlayer non-functional, and know that Sling was notified?

Then I presume you also  you also know why Roku made such business decision changes and did not notify us SlingPlayer Channel subscribers in advance.

Interesting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
twiceover
Level 11

Jump to solution

I know.  VERY interesting.  I enjoy being interesting.

Enjoy your day, mine is going to be awesome!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Strako
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

That depends on how you are using it.   I am in Paris and stream from my TVs in Florida.  I bought a FireTV Cube to do this.  I run a VPN Router so it looks like I am in the US.  The FireTV Cube will not work with VPN Routers.  It checks for them and tells you it will not work with a VPN router.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@twiceover wrote:

I know.  VERY interesting.  I enjoy being interesting.

Enjoy your day, mine is going to be awesome!

Hey, thanks for the knowledgeable confirmation!

It's good to know how Roku thinks about their suppliers and customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DaMasK
Level 8

Jump to solution

@twiceover wrote:

@rj0 wrote:
So if Roku did not make their firmware new version backwards compatible, it's SlingPlayer's fault?

Yes.  It is not Roku's fault that Sling is choosing not to support their own app and update it as the underlying system updates.

I'm also a software developer. I've been trying to figure out what Roku might have done that the Slingplayer Roku channel (app) is no longer supported. It's obviously not the hardware. We've all been using Slingplayer for a long time on our Rokus.

So I think it must be some kind of change in the API that the Roku OS exposes to Roku apps. Did Roku decide to remove some functionality in their OS that the Slingplayer app relied on? If so, why? Did Roku change the behavior of some part of the API that adversely affected the Slingplayer app? If so, why couldn't they retain backward compatibility so the Slingplayer app would continue to work? Are other channels also affected?

(One possibility is that the Slingplayer app relied on undocumented API behavior, and Roku has changed that behavior, which Slingplayer should not have relied on, to Slingplayer's disadvantage. That's definitely on Slingplayer.)

Roku certainly has the right to alter its API and ask channel/app providers to make changes accordingly. But usually that's to take advantage of new features and does not adversely affect existing, working apps.

I would appreciate it if a Roku software developer could explain.

Highlighted
Harleysville
Level 8

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER

Jump to solution

I only purchased Roku players (3) to stream from my slingbox - they are now of $0 value to me. I feel cheated by Roku - they should allow returns for removing functionality that I paid for! 

Highlighted
Harleysville
Level 8

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER - WORKAROUND

Jump to solution

Here is a workaround that I found - activate the slingplayer on your cell phone, then mirror the cell phone display to the TV via the Roku. You can't use the cell phone for other purposes while watching this way, but at least I can watch on my TV. I have an android cell phone which supports Miracast and the Roku supports Miracast, so it works. Google the instructions for your cell phone to find out if it supports display mirroring and how to turn it on. I just found this approach and it is working great so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Harleysville
Level 8

Jump to solution

See "Workaround" on page 5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER - WORKAROUND

Jump to solution

@Harleysville wrote:

Here is a workaround that I found - activate the slingplayer on your cell phone, then mirror the cell phone display to the TV via the Roku. You can't use the cell phone for other purposes while watching this way, but at least I can watch on my TV. I have an android cell phone which supports Miracast and the Roku supports Miracast, so it works. Google the instructions for your cell phone to find out if it supports display mirroring and how to turn it on. I just found this approach and it is working great so far.

If it works for you glitch-free (I'm hearing varying results from Reddit users, and yes, they're having this same conversation over there), great!

Unfortunately, for my Roku 2 XS (top-of-the-line at the time with USB port and fancy, motion-responsive game controller remote), that isn't an option, and upgrading my Roku, as I almost did a couple of weeks ago (see page 3), isn't worth taking the chance (and they'll probably kill your work-around next -).

0 Kudos