Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
randylue
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

Do you know if Slingplayer still works on Chromecast?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SlingSucks
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes.  Mine does, anyway... using Samsung Galaxy S5; s7; 7 inch android tablet...

I just bought a 4k Firestick because I liked the idea of it being self contained and not needing a tablet or phone to cast to the device.  A little bumpy out of the box, but seems to be working now.

Just wish I could get my cable box remote to work with this thing.  The remote functionality sucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthe
Level 8

Jump to solution
I did find the app for the fire stick but my Slingbox’s are to old to work with it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jmliii
Level 7

Jump to solution

If you use the Harmony Hub it has a pretty nice Directv remote app for my android phone which works well with Slingbox since I feed it with my Genie Directv box.  The Harmony Hub will control the Genie remotely, so once I have the SlingPlayer app connected I use the Harmony App to control the connected receiver.  It still has the normal delay associated with remote connection.  Not sure about the Apple apps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kr7949
Level 8

Jump to solution
You can believe, and continue to spread, Sling's lies all you want to. It was SLING that rolled out a Sept. 23rd update at which time the connection to Roku and its (Sling Player's) Remote Control both stopped working. On my Roku devices (I have 5):
System Update
SW version: 9.1.0
Build 4919
Last Checked Oct 6 12:58 pm
Last Updated Sep 6 12:11 am

Are you STILL dumb enough to blame Roku's "September 23rd rollout" Since tgey haven't pushed an update since Sept 6?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
finster869
Level 7

Re: Roku Sitck 3800x with Slingplayer

Jump to solution

Same here. From the slingbox website:

Connected Device Update – Roku:
The most recent Roku firmware update, that Roku rolled out week of September 23, 2019, is not compatible with the Slingplayer app. The Slingplayer app will no longer be supported on any Roku device.
You can still use the Slingplayer app on Amazon Fire TV devices. We apologize for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

Please note that it was the decision of Slingbox to no longer support the Roku. They are blaming Roku, but they decided to no longer update their app for the Roku. Roku did not "roll out" any update on Sept 23. So it was their decision to discontinue support for Roku devices, not that the Roku update "broke" their app. Based on their mention of Fire TV, makes me think they have some sort of agreement with Amazon. Wouldn't be the first time a company favored one device over another. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution
So we're still open on whether Sling or Roku initiated the Sept. 23 update that killed the SlingPlayer channel. Firmware doesn't always need to be updated to change functionality. There's a software level that boots on top of that, and then there's patches (such as Windows patch Tuesday), and software controls which can enable/disable functions (built-in software switches which require no new software, just a built-in mechanism to turn functionality off and on, I've worked on such). I'm open to whatever the truth is.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SlingSucks
Level 8

Jump to solution

So I splurged and bought a FireStick 4k.  It has a huge issue with disconnecting from the slingbox(es).  This is all on my local network. 

I have a slingbox, a slingbox solo, and two M1s.  All the SBs are connected via ethernet.  The FS can only connect to the M1s.

I can watch either M1 all day long on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) or a cheap little 7 inch android tablet, or my Windows PCs and laptops.  But with the Firestick, it might go 30 minutes or 30 seconds before losing the connection.  Happens with either M1.  Going back to the Directory the box I had been connected to appears, but I can't connect to it for some period of time that seems to vary.  The Directory lists it as Local, but neither Available or Busy... just Local.

This was particularly annoying while trying to watch a recorded football game and having to switch back and forth between my two M1s...

I can watch Prime all day long from the FS, so it doesn't appear to be the FS connection to wireless...

I realize that this is the Roku board, but since a bunch of people are here because of the disconnect between SB and Roku, I thought it might be good fishing here.

All this is while watching with HQ.

I continue to play with this to see if I can figure this out, but any thoughts?  Currently testing to see how long it survives on "better" instead of "best" resolution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:
So we're still open on whether Sling or Roku initiated the Sept. 23 update that killed the SlingPlayer channel. Firmware doesn't always need to be updated to change functionality. There's a software level that boots on top of that, and then there's patches (such as Windows patch Tuesday), and software controls which can enable/disable functions (built-in software switches which require no new software, just a built-in mechanism to turn functionality off and on, I've worked on such). I'm open to whatever the truth is.

When Roku updates their firmware, it shows on the Update page as the last date updated. We have no information about individual channel updates, so we (the end users) can't tell when the last time a channel was updated. But Roku did not push any update out on Sept 23, at least to my devices. Roku doesn't issue patches without changing the OS version level. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos