Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution
Enjoy slingbox while you can . I have read it may be on the way out . A cable TV change on the way? Which will render it obsolete . . I had 3 rokus. And two of three are retired now . Have tried both fire stick and Apple TV . And both work acceptably with slingbox . Currently 150O miles from my slingbox and am watching hockey games on Apple TV . Excellent quality . Better than fire stick I think ..
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Go to blog.roku.com/developer and look over the number of new requirements that have have been added (including password/data centralization, and ad supported requirement agreements, like with Innovid), not just recently, but ongoing for years. As a non-revenue producing channel, Sling avoided most of these changes/requirements. Apparently, Roku added something that even non-revenue producing channels couldn't avoid, and that resulted in a bunch of retroactive requirements/changes. I've gone through the Roku developer requirements, and there are statements like " all new and updated channels must support". Those are retroactive requirements that hit any channel that suddenly needs to update.

Sling has almost completely bailed on Slingbox (probably wasn't enough new sales to continue), and associated user support (pretty much history). Combine that with engineers "long gone", and I can see where any new major requirements on Slingplayer channels (on Roku, Fire TV etc.) are essentially hopeless, and will result in lost box support. (My Slingbox Classic was still being used a year or two ago, so stability is what kept them going, along with their continuation of the Sling server). Any significant change by Roku, requiring major changes by Sling, was going to kill off the Slingplayer channel with almost absolute certainty (but that just emphasizes that those changes and decisions came from Roku, not Sling).

Traveling. New Fire TV box set up, and Slingplayer channel added. Works great! Better picture than on my Roku 2 XS, which Roku is dropping support for by year end, so the Sling will probably outlive the Roku. Ironic.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution
This app suddenly disappear.....i used it a lot. In my house i have 4 rokus but since that, i am changing all of them for firetv (they have slingplayer)

Thanks
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Connected Device Update – Roku:
The most recent Roku firmware update, that Roku rolled out week of September 23, 2019, is not compatible with the Slingplayer app. The Slingplayer app will no longer be supported on any Roku device.
You can still use the Slingplayer app on Amazon Fire TV devices. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Are you going to fix Slingplayer for Roku?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Seems doubtful. I see an update to the iOS version of the sling player app no longer shows my rokus as being available for casting. That just happened in past couple days.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@sugnidnotliw wrote:

Connected Device Update – Roku:
The most recent Roku firmware update, that Roku rolled out week of September 23, 2019, is not compatible with the Slingplayer app. The Slingplayer app will no longer be supported on any Roku device.
You can still use the Slingplayer app on Amazon Fire TV devices. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Are you going to fix Slingplayer for Roku?

Only Sling can fix it, and they've already indicated they are no longer going to support Roku. Sure, Roku updated something that altered the Slingplayer functionality, but it's the responsibility of the channel developer (Sling) to update their channel. Whatever Roku changed was probably necessary, although we'll never know what was changed and why it broke Slingplayer. Sling has made the business decision to no longer support Roku players. Sling is where you need to complain. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

Go to blog.roku.com/developer and look over the number of new requirements that have have been added (including password/data centralization, and ad supported requirement agreements, like with Innovid), not just recently, but ongoing for years. As a non-revenue producing channel, Sling avoided most of these changes/requirements. Apparently, Roku added something that even non-revenue producing channels couldn't avoid, and that resulted in a bunch of retroactive requirements/changes. I've gone through the Roku developer requirements, and there are statements like " all new and updated channels must support". Those are retroactive requirements that hit any channel that suddenly needs to update.

Sling has almost completely bailed on Slingbox (probably wasn't enough new sales to continue), and associated user support (pretty much history). Combine that with engineers "long gone", and I can see where any new major requirements on Slingplayer channels (on Roku, Fire TV etc.) are essentially hopeless, and will result in lost box support. (My Slingbox Classic was still being used a year or two ago, so stability is what kept them going, along with their continuation of the Sling server). Any significant change by Roku, requiring major changes by Sling, was going to kill off the Slingplayer channel with almost absolute certainty (but that just emphasizes that those changes and decisions came from Roku, not Sling).

Roku adds requirements.

Roku exempts certain channel types from certain requirements.

Roku can revert requirements or eliminate them entirely (allowing channels to come back).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

Roku adds requirements.

Roku can revert requirements or eliminate them entirely (allowing channels to come back).

Why should they exempt channels from the requirements of other developers? There are other channels that might not use the Roku ad structure, but they still follow the requirements. Seems to me the fair way to play is to make all meet the same requirements. Chances are some of the requirements are for security or legal requirements. I can't fault Roku for trying to protect themselves from channel providers that try to skirt the legal requirements.

And I'm not saying Sling was one of those. Just they they need to follow the same requirements as the other developers. They have chosen to no longer support Roku, so it's their call. Roku has been hit with multiple lawsuits in several countries because of pirated material. Roku didn't offer the material, but because they built the platform they were the target. So now they are just protecting themselves, and I can't blame them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

Roku adds requirements.

Why should they exempt channels from the requirements of other developers? There are other channels that might not use the Roku ad structure, but they still follow the requirements. Seems to me the fair way to play is to make all meet the same requirements. Chances are some of the requirements are for security or legal requirements. I can't fault Roku for trying to protect themselves from channel providers that try to skirt the legal requirements.

And I'm not saying Sling was one of those. Just they they need to follow the same requirements as the other developers. They have chosen to no longer support Roku, so it's their call. Roku has been hit with multiple lawsuits in several countries because of pirated material. Roku didn't offer the material, but because they built the platform they were the target. So now they are just protecting themselves, and I can't blame them. 

Roku already exempts requirements, depending on channel type.

See the Developer Requirements and Blog.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

Roku adds requirements.

Yes, it might have been just Roku protecting themselves (from Sling-type channels).

0 Kudos