Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Taloeppke
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

You are correct that Dish Network owns Sling.   They broke Sling into two subsidiaries Sling Box and Sling TV.  They have chosen to no longer support or maintain the box (it is now marketed by Dish as Hopper to sling their TV). 

Apparently Roku wanted to install new features on their service (including advertising by their revenue sources) and Dish did not want that.  

Roku made changes which terminates both Sling TV and access by Sling Box.  

In my case, I do not care about Sling TV.   I would like to see the box allowed to work (by Roku) as I can fully sling my home TV to my smart phone, tablet or computer.  The connection I want is between my device and Roku.   I DO NOT want Sling TV.  This is nothing more than local device to local device.  

I also have Amazon Fire, Google TV box and Apple TV.   Plus I have the Comcast TV streaming.  Unfortunately those and other streaming is between 45 seconds and two minutes behind straight from TV broadcast. 

When I could access the Roku using one of my devices the delay was 3 to 5 seconds.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Taloeppke wrote:

In my case, I do not care about Sling TV.   I would like to see the box allowed to work (by Roku) as I can fully sling my home TV to my smart phone, tablet or computer. 

That will never happen, as Roku has no control over how the channel works. Roku would have to create a channel themselves, and since that would require approval from the content provider (Sling) it's highly unlikely. And there's no real incentive for Roku to develop a channel for that purpose. They only offer two channels of their own: Roku Media Player and The Roku Channel. Unknown if a 3rd party developer can get the permissions required to create an independent channel. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Taloeppke wrote:

In my case, I do not care about Sling TV.   I would like to see the box allowed to work (by Roku) as I can fully sling my home TV to my smart phone, tablet or computer. 

That will never happen, as Roku has no control over how the channel works. Roku would have to create a channel themselves, and since that would require approval from the content provider (Sling) it's highly unlikely. And there's no real incentive for Roku to develop a channel for that purpose. They only offer two channels of their own: Roku Media Player and The Roku Channel. Unknown if a 3rd party developer can get the permissions required to create an independent channel. 

Roku would only have to let Slingbox channel to work as it has previously: Device to Device.

The only question is whether that prevents Roku from inserting their new advertising source.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Taloeppke wrote:

Roku would only have to let Slingbox channel to work as it has previously: Device to Device.

The only question is whether that prevents Roku from inserting their new advertising source.

Roku can't do that, because Sling removed the channel. Roku has no control over that, only the channel developer. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
blasterdaddy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have created a SlingboxUser group over on Facebook.  Constantly bashing Roku for something that is not their issue is a fruitless gesture. 

More to the point, we as Slingbox Users and make suggestions complain, whine, and document what we have done with Slingbox in the past.

The group is called SlingboxUser, it has no association with Sling or Slingbox or Dish or Roku its for us users who still are out their.

I have a similar group for Slinke CD Mega Changer Support which seems to be very successful.

Look forward to discussing Slingbox with you all

Rober

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Taloeppke wrote:

Roku has all the control over how channels work, and the upper hand in all relationships with channel providers. They make the rules, they change the rules. If they want to renegotiate with channel providers, that's up to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Taloeppke wrote:

Roku can't do that, because Sling removed the channel. Roku has no control over that, only the channel developer. 

With all the Roku rules about what is required of channels, it's clear that they review every channel code submission, and nothing gets on their box/network without them reviewing/processing the code install, and that includes any changed apps. Actual channel installs, updates, and removals are undoubtedly performed by Roku (the provider writes the code, then Roku reviews it and installs it). Letting channel providers install code on their system without Roku action would bypass all that, and endanger the integrity of the whole system. That also means Roku can disable any channel at any time, with or without the channel provider's permission.

Additionally, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that Roku has backups of every channel app installed on their system (in case of system issues), and could restore an older channel app rapidly. If they reached an agreement with Sling that would allow the old Slingplayer channel to operate as it did, they could probably pull it out of their backups and have it running in hours, without any more than a nod from Sling.

0 Kudos
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

With all the Roku rules about what is required of channels, it's clear that they review every channel code submission, and nothing gets on their box/network without them reviewing/processing the code install, and that includes any changed apps. Actual channel installs, updates, and removals are undoubtedly performed by Roku (the provider writes the code, then Roku reviews it and installs it). Letting channel providers install code on their system without Roku action would bypass all that, and endanger the integrity of the whole system. That also means Roku can disable any channel at any time, with or without the channel provider's permission.

Additionally, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that Roku has backups of every channel app installed on their system (in case of system issues), and could restore an older channel app rapidly. If they reached an agreement with Sling that would allow the old Slingplayer channel to operate as it did, they could probably pull it out of their backups and have it running in hours, without any more than a nod from Sling.

One clarification. I'm aware that Roku lets channel providers test their code with restrictive access (not available to general Roku users), and there's no reason for Roku to review such test code at that point. What I described above is code submitted for general release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

Never happen, because Roku doesn't own that programming. Yes, I'm certain they have backups of everything. But that doesn't give them the right to publish a channel without the owner's permission. That permission belongs to Sling, not Roku. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
blasterdaddy
Level 9

Jump to solution

How much for ur roku?

0 Kudos